Visually Impaired Traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by vanilla2, Jun 4, 2003.

1. TGregg

TGregg

That's the problem :(. Never recorded anything on Windows in my entire life. As far as I can tell, WinXP recorder does not record in stereo. How can I record fully panned right or left? I've got a swell sound card, and a mic in the closet (someplace). . .

#41     Jun 6, 2003
  2. goldwave is an option. it's free, and i've been using it for years. very flexible wav recorder. even has an mp3 encoder if you download another thing called "lameware". very good software.

#42     Jun 6, 2003
  3. lindq

lindq

Yes and yes. You can use any sound file, and assign it to an event. The "event" can be anything you want. Price change, target, TA indicator level, trading signal, formula, etc.

#43     Jun 6, 2003
  4. TGregg

TGregg

How do you get bid and ask from TS?

#44     Jun 6, 2003
  5. prox

prox

Gives new meaning to the blind leading the blind. :cool:

#45     Jun 6, 2003
  6. TGregg

TGregg

Currentbid and currentask are the answers :D.

#46     Jun 6, 2003
  7. yes, and i would recommend keeping your EL as concise as possible, two letter variable name, shortest filepath possible to the wav, if else instead of two if statements, etc. granted, today is one of those free money days, but listening really makes the experience much more visceral and helps confirm when people are piling in, in a way i never got from the screen.

my wavs are three tenths of a second long, and 8 bit, so that you can hear every tick (some still get skipped)

#47     Jun 6, 2003
  8. TGregg

TGregg

You can do an aysnch call to a routine (plysound I think) in WinMM, so that might help on the skips. I'll give that a try. . .

EDIT: sndPlaySound is the name. It's in WinMM only in XP:

Private Declare Function sndPlaySound Lib "winmm.dll" Alias "sndPlaySoundA" (ByVal lpszSoundName As String, ByVal uFlags As Long) As Long

EDIT#2: Rats, it's even slower.

#48     Jun 6, 2003
  9. Well, I managed to reduce the EL for a full chromatic scale playing on each tick down to 5 lines, and was able to listen to ES today as one continuous melody, tick by tick. It was very interesting, sounded a bit like "Flight of the Bumblebee", though didn't add anything new to my trading so far. Comparing this to a simple two tone bid/ask setup, I believe simple is much better. Really, the rhythm of order flow is much more telling than a melody tracking price seemed to be today, although it was very useful for keeping on top of things while I was preparing lunch.

#49     Jun 9, 2003
  10. TGregg

TGregg

I swear I hear the old "Shave and a haircut" the other day when I was testing this. :)

#50     Jun 9, 2003