Visually Impaired Traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by vanilla2, Jun 4, 2003.

1. I never knew a a blind trader. But when I was a retail broker in the late 80's, I worked with a blind lady that was a broker.

Even then, there was software that read whatever came on our quote system (Quotron). Not just quotes, but all the research, news, and the system's information pages (daily comments, sales contests....everything).

I am quite sure that this was not a Quotron feature. How it was integrated into her system, I have no idea.

I am sure that things are a million times better now. 15 years in computer years is a very long time.

I do remember that a problem was that the voice program did not skip anything. So it not only read the words, but it read the punctuation as well.

It was hard to listen to. You would hear something like "The space research space department space believes space IBM space is a buy period dash dash dash dash quotation mark Joe space Blow space says colon space" (you get the idea....very annoying)

It could drive you nuts very quickly. I guess she got used to it. Just as I suppose legal secretaries get used to legal dictation. But my guess is that similar software today can read with some "common sense". And probably even use human inflection to some degree using context and read-ahead technology.

This blind broker's German Shepard was an absolutely amazing animal. How they get those dogs to learn what they do is beyond belief. My dog went to obedience school for 2 weeks when she was a puppy, and had to go back for remedial work. Still came out dumb as dirt. (a Standard Poodle...they are supposed to be among the smartest of all breeds).

Anyway, I imagine that while the information is available for a blind person, it would be extremely difficult to trade. Unless they traded only one issue and used a very limited amount of indicators on which to make decisions. This may be a handicap, but then again, maybe it isn't at all. A good case can be argued for either side of this issue.

personally, I find that when I am trading, I am looking at so many things at the same time that it is impossible for me to even explain to an observer what I am looking at and why. I know, because I have attempted to do it.

So much input. And so visual. So while I suppose anything is possible, I think trading (not talking about "investing", is virtually impossible for a person that is without sight.

As for the pit trader that was mentioned....I think that that is a more viable opportunity. After all, in general pit traders can and do trade one contract, or index, or whatever it is they trade. While the rules let them do more, many stick with one vehicle. Certainly one at a time.

If a trader is just trading (for example), the S&P contracts on the Merc, they can probably make decisions based on a relatively smaller amount of indicators (information) than (again for example), a prop trader that is trading 40 issues at a time.

Of course, a clerk would be essential to make this work. The boards are not available in braille, and while a blind person can certainly give hand signals, there is no way for them to receive them. But clerks are common (it's been a while, but when I was on the CBOE, virtually every trader used at least one clerk), and clerks are permitted to be anywhere on the floor of the exchanges. So with a bit of teamwork, there is no reason I can think of that a blind person would be at an insurmountable disadvantage on the floor.

As a matter of fact, some of the old timers, while not being legally blind, are certainly "sight impaired". I remember one old guy on the CBOE that had binocular lenses attached to the tops of his trifocals.

And certainly, many traders have difficulty hearing. That is overcome. There are traders in wheel chairs (I worked with one here for many years....he was unable to use his hands).

Where there is a will, there is a way. And if it can be done at all, the law gives equal opportunity.

Nothing is easy. As traders, we all have our own obstacles to overcome. Being blind is certainly a major handicap. I don't know if it can really be done, but again, nothing is impossible. And if it is possible, you can be sure it is being done somewhere by someone.

Also, I would put my money on a bright and motivated blind trader before I would on many of the guys that post to this sight. Brains and common sense and discipline will take you a lot farther in an endeavor like trading than will big steroid enhanced muscles and no brain.

Peace,
    :)RS

#21     Jun 4, 2003
  2. lindq

lindq

It can be one with Investor RT. I have all my major signals and alerts programmed with sounds, as I hate sitting at the computer during the day. I run it through my stereo amp so I can hear it in other areas. If one wanted to, or needed to, any price level, indicator, or signal could reveal itself in sound.

(Unfortunately, it doesn't work the other direction. I can't yet yell BUY or SELL.) :D

#22     Jun 4, 2003
  3. What your "Woman I don't care if your entitled to get 50% of everything, Stay outa my Office" sign not working anymore?:confused:

#23     Jun 5, 2003
  4. I have been using Reuters for a very long time. I think their alerts work the way you describe. I just am not familiar with how to set them up.

When you work for a prop firm, you use the equipment you get. In this case, no sound cards, no speakers. The alerts also flash, change color, and such, but you still need to be sitting there watching. I don't recall seeing anyone use them. I am sure there are some guys that do (or did), but the mentality is to be at your seat and see what is going on. And after all, if it's their money, then it is certainly fair to trade it the way they want.

Peace,
    :)RS

#24     Jun 5, 2003
  5. MarketSurfer,

Thank you very much for your kind words of encouragement. I did a bit of research on Randy Greif online, and find he has a fascinating (and highly prolific) canon of musical experiments! I would be very interested in communicating with Randy if you wouldn't mind introducing us, and having a talk about his work combining sound and trading. Also, the Niederhoffer book is now definitely on my short list of reading, you've really peaked my curiosity. Thanks again, very much!

Sean

#25     Jun 5, 2003
  6. lol, I believe it definitely does. The same belief has sent me searching for another, perhaps better way to use my brain. I've always been fascinated by the accelerated development of the other senses in people with disabilities.

#26     Jun 5, 2003
  7. lol, I know what you're saying about the wife in the office. That cracked me up. Thanks, this is an outstanding suggestion. I hadn't thought of doing it that way. You really got me thinking about how to expand on this idea. There are boundless possibilities here.

#27     Jun 5, 2003
  8. minimi

minimi

I think it would be a good idea to require market makers to be visual impaired. They will do much better job than those market markers who are not visual impaired.

#28     Jun 5, 2003
  9. Thanks very much for the reply. I'm very inspired to now know of at least two blind traders. The poodle and the old timers with trifocals crack me up. I can imagine, after a certain point in the pit, you barely need your eyes any more to do the job.

One thing you said that struck a chord is the fact that we generally view many more than just one or two time-series at once. I happen to trade only one index future, but am still monitoring at least four other things simultaneously. I wonder if a blind person could mentally separate several streams of braille or haptic input received through the fingers in the same way we can mentally separate separate charts in our field of vision. This gave rise to some more ideas of ways to project price as sound, mainly through polyphonics, ie a unique speaker, and perhaps a unique timbre as well for each input. Would this be more or less overwhelming than visual information?

Thanks again for your great post.

#29     Jun 5, 2003
  10. That's great! Do you know, will Investor RT let you assign unique (and custom) sounds to specific events? ie, would it let me assign sound a to event 1 and sound b to event 2? And, could I record the sounds myself?

THanks

#30     Jun 5, 2003