Visually Impaired Traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by vanilla2, Jun 4, 2003.

1. good points guys. i guess a blind trader could do something akin to tape reading.

#11     Jun 4, 2003
  2. mowells2

mowells2

vanilla2,
    if you dont mind, could you share with us why you are
    interested in this topic.
    Thanks

#12     Jun 4, 2003
  3. frank123

frank123

I do not know how many of you guys have seen blind people using computer. But I have and I am amazed. Yes they can use it.
    The keyboard is different and there is program to read the text for them too.

The blind person I am talking about is in charge of the security password of the agency I used to work for.

#13     Jun 4, 2003
  4. sure,

Today I was thinking about unconventional ways to track price, for example via the other senses, and realized that a visually impaired trader may be able to share significant experience on the subject. As I move closer to "feeling" price in my trading, I'm thinking more and more about what it is I'm actually perceiving as I "feel" it. I believe it has been scientifically validated that all people learn differently. For example, some are better at memorizing sequences visually, others aurally, and others in writing. It followed in my reasoning that perhaps I could train my "feel" even better from an aural input, and I was wondering if anybody had tried this. The visually impaired were the first that came to mind.

I'm also a musician, and I produce soundtracks for experimental film as a secondary income. I have done some tinkering with biofeedback as subject material, for example using ecg's to integrate the arousal of the viewer into the tempo of the composition, so biofeedback and feedback loops are of special interest to me. I would like to hear the market as a melody, and see if I can bring some non-related abilities into my trading. Perhaps cross-pollinate my two passions, trading and music. Trust me, I'm not fishing for some new age ubersolution in my trading, I'm just curious.

That all probably sounds terribly esoteric and pretentious. Truly, I am just curious, and definitely mean no disrespect. I think if there are any visually impaired traders out there, their stories would be very inspiring to us all.

#14     Jun 4, 2003
  5. Pabst

Pabst

I know that in the 50's through about 1975 there was a blind guy in the soybean pit at the CBOT. He even filled paper! He had a dog and a clerk (clerks at that time were unheard of at the Board) to help out. I know one of his deck mates did federal time for bucketing customer orders and an old timer told me that the blind guy was the biggest thief of the bunch! He could never be indicted though. What jury would ever beleive that a blind man was a crook in a den of theives.

#15     Jun 4, 2003
  6. lol Pabst, that is an interesting story indeed. So, they are out there. I never would have guessed that there would be a blind pit trader though. Wow!

#16     Jun 4, 2003

7. very interesting. there has been work done comparing the market to musical scores, so your line of reasoning is not bizzare in the least. niederhoffer touches on this concept in his book "education of a speculator". i know a guy named randy greif who is an experimental/ noise composer and a trader, he has converted the nasdaq index into music if i recall correctly.

your work with film seems fascinating, if you are interested i will try to locate randy ( we have not spoken in several years) and pass your info to him.

best wishes on your journey !!

surfer:)

#17     Jun 4, 2003
  8. Sometimes I think - actually I know - that if I were blind, I would probably make better trades. Does that count?

#18     Jun 4, 2003
  9. TGregg

TGregg

Hmmm, a simple program that produced a bit of a high note on a buy at the ask, and a bit of a low at a sell at bid (and a bit higher at a buy on a higher ask, and a bit lower on a sell at the lower bid) could be interesting. It could be even based on the previous close - so you'd know from the sound when it approached the previous close, and broke through.

One could probably do this on IB's TWS. . .

#19     Jun 4, 2003
  10. TGregg

TGregg

Woah! Could you imagine coding some other TA this way? Whoops and sirens, ticks and tocks? Then add all kinds of lights? This could be way cool. My wife would stay the $#% out of my office for sure :D.

#20     Jun 4, 2003