Visually Impaired Traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by vanilla2, Jun 4, 2003.

1. This is a 100% serious question. Are there any blind traders out there? I would love to hear about your technique, or just know you're out there.

Thanks

2. WOW, that's a great subject. I have always figured that when life throws another curveball (as it always does !) and I would somehow end up with physical disabilities, I would at least be able to continue to trade. Being blind would be a huge challenge though. I am looking forward to responses on this subject, thanks for bringing it up. :)

3. 168

a blind trader can not read your post.

4. sure, i'm really curious too.

i anticipated that question so i did some homework. there is text to speech software such as:

JAWS for Windows,
    Screen Reader For OS/2,
    OutSPOKEN for Windows,
    Kurzweil 1000 OCR Scanning and Reading Software.

there are also braille printers and haptic devices:

Braille printers are available for those who can read Braille. These produce a hard copy and can do so from various computer devices. Other Braille Display technology allows what is displayed on the computer screen to be transposed into Braille. These devices operate by raising and lowering different combinations of pins electronically to produce what appears on a portion of the computer screen. They are refreshable, that is, they change continuously as the user moves around on the screen. (American Foundation for the Blind, 2000, n. p.)

A haptic interface is a device which allows a user to interact with a computer by receiving tactile feed back. It is a force reflecting device which allows a user to touch, feel, manipulate, create, and/or alter simulated three-dimensional objects in a virtual environment (Office of Training Technology, 2000) Haptics was first developed so that users could feel objects in virtual environments. It is still a relatively new technology and may broaden the interaction between computer-stored information and blind or visual impaired people when the technology and training required become more freely available (Brewster, 2001, n. p.).

5. Indeed, that is an interesting question. To the extent that the user wishes to use price charts, the prospects are obviously not very encouraging. However, if memory serves, I believe I read some years ago about one trader toying with the notion of setting market price data to sound as an added sensory input. I have no idea if he was kidding, however, I would be (pleasantly) surprised if this notion makes it beyond the "concept" stage.

Regards,

Thunderdog

6. TD,

I've considered trying to link price to sound too, using a chromatic scale, or a series of beeps, one representing each decimal place. This is more for the sake of curiosity than any practical advantage I'm aware of, except perhaps freedom from the screen.

I sometimes wonder if I'm more capable of interpreting price as a pitch, since my relative pitch and melodic memorization abilities are decent.

TS could almost do it if they let you use custom sounds in alerts. Anyone ever play with this stuff?

7. prox

prox

lol

8. I'm afraid anyone who is actually blind may prefer not identify themselves here. On the other hand, if I do a poll, I'm sure, mysteriously, everyone will be blind.

Maybe it's better to ask if anyone knows any blind traders?

9. lescor

lescor

After listening to a squawk box for a year and a half, I think I could trade the spoos blind, but would have to figure out a way to enter and manage orders. Just listening to the prices, ranges, the commentator and the pit is enough to get a pretty good gauge on the market.

#10     Jun 4, 2003