Visual Basic

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Excelsior, Aug 8, 2010.

1. januson

januson

Who are you talking to? Please use attention or Quote :)

#31     Aug 10, 2010
  2. I don't use VB6

I don't use VB

I use VB.Net / Visual Basic .Net
    I use C' .Net
    I use C++ .Net

...Microsoft implementations of these languages - using their Visual Studio development environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Basic_.NET

I believe you all know what I am referring to and your picking nits - if I am wrong - my apologies.

The multithreading I have done is within the language context of VB.Net / Visual Basic .Net and C' .Net language.

There is no debate that .Net is complex.

Hope this clarifies

#32     Aug 10, 2010
  3. @byteme - sorry for the confusion (by the way - good moniker)
    @jprad - sorry for the confusion

@januson - you pick nits.

#33     Aug 10, 2010
  4. @januson

I am curious - being that I am not familiar with Visual Basic (to differentiate with Visual Basic .Net) - it sounds like the language doesn't support threading.

Is this correct?

What environment do you develop Visual Basic code in?

Are you Linux, Apple, Microsoft?

Just wondering?

Take Care januson!

#34     Aug 10, 2010
  5. januson

januson

Hi gustavokeiff

I developed code in Visual Basic back in 1998 and whenever we needed some async we did subclassing.
    It is however many years ago, that was the reason that I asked you, could be that you could tell me something about VB, no need to get rude or angry.

Visual Basic is developed in a studio exactly like VB/ C# -.NET, though somewhat old-looking http://www.vbmigration.com/Images/Whitepapers/vb6ide.png by today standards.

I can promise you that both I and others opened our eyes when you wrote Just completed my own trading application at about 150k lines - does everything the Ninja Trader and others do and its a lot faster - You guessed it - it was written in Visual Basic.

But apparently it was VB.NET you referred to and that is no surprise. VB.NET is as good as C#

In 2002 I switched to .NET as many others, my primary syntax is C#

Cheers :D

#35     Aug 10, 2010
  6. januson

januson

To get threading right in .NET is a major accomplishment...

Think about locking, concurrency, persistence/ availability when breakdown, rollback etc.

Very very hard to program.

Of course things like :
    Thread thread = new Thread(new ThreadStart(oFoo.Calculate))
    , is very very easy.
    But so many things can go wrong :cool:

#36     Aug 10, 2010
  7. @januson

Thanks for the reply - sorry if I insulated - I really couldn't figure you out.

Nice to meet another developer.

For What It Is Worth - one of the reasons my app is so much faster is that I scrapped all of the .Net controls - no buttons, no list, no sliders, no nothing.

Kept the Form however.

Used GDI wrappers to create my own graphic's environment, write down to the hit map (bit blt-ing and all, event handlers,...)

Considered going straight to GDI - that would have been too much work.

The reason I am telling you this is, few folks in their right mind would try this - but I had too - it is really fast, and I needed speed.

If you ever have a need for anything like this or you want to pick my brain on any programming subject (hopefully this geezer can keep up with you) let me know.

Take care!

#37     Aug 10, 2010
  8. As far as Threading - been there and done it on a number of OS's

Designed an Asynchronous Execution Graph (fine grained distributed/parallel processing) back in the 90's

The complexity of .NET was something I just no longer wanted to face - So I took the Visual Basic .Net short cuts.

,...Gustav

#38     Aug 10, 2010
  9. januson

januson

hehe... thank you, well one can never know it all, besides that it would be boring :)
    So your proposal can be a reality one day... I have no experience in building trading engines and right now I have dedicated all my spare time to it. You just wait :p

#39     Aug 10, 2010
  10. @januson

Your Cool Januson!

Keep in touch!

...And like I said - I will share...

,...Gustav

#40     Aug 10, 2010