Visual Basic

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Excelsior, Aug 8, 2010.

1. crm99

crm99

Yes but the OP needs to be aware of the reasons why his developer wants to use VB. If they are 'I don't know any other language' then he needs to be careful because it may indicate a certain lack of experience.

#21     Aug 9, 2010

2. VB.NET. More modern and will be easier to maintain going forward. (Assuming you're on Windows platform.) OTOH if your programmer has tons of libraries already written in VB, it may take him less time/effort to code up something in VB.

#22     Aug 10, 2010
  3. januson

januson

Are you referring to VB.NET ?
    You did say Visual Basic though!!

I understand threading in .Net it's very complicated and not one just should implement for fun!

But please answer my question about your comment in Visual Basic.

Regards

#23     Aug 10, 2010
  4. For those interested: checkout thecommon.net and their VB meta trader examples. Very slick and fast toolset with SQLite integration without the MS stack overhead..

#24     Aug 10, 2010
  5. @januson

Actually I implement threads for the heck of - got a lot going on in my app - it just isn't that complicated for me to do.

Your question on how I implement threads seems too open ended for me.

I have dozens of instances in my app where I use them - sometimes I use a wrapper class, sometimes I use a pool of threads, other times I ....

Please consider getting the book;

Visual Basic .NET
    Programmers CookBook
    by Matthew MacDonald

This has helped me deal with the complex world of VB .Net and they do a nice job explaining how to use threading.

#25     Aug 10, 2010
  6. One More Thing,

Most of my experience with threading was outside the MS world. I had to design non-os implementations that could handle millions of simultaneousness executing intersecting threads and prevent data corruption to-boot.

I found the .NET implementation (to say the least) cumbersome.

I can appreciate your pain.

The book I referenced really is worth owning - if you program with VB

Good Luck.

#26     Aug 10, 2010
  7. #27     Aug 10, 2010
  8. byteme

byteme

In your first post you said you coded your system in Visual Basic. Was that Visual Basic 6 or Visual Basic.NET?

Many people will assume you are talking about Visual Basic 6 when you simply say Visual Basic without the explicit mention of .NET

Some people who were criticising Visual Basic in this thread were talking about Visual Basic 6 not Visual Basic.NET.

#28     Aug 10, 2010
  9. jprad

jprad

VB <> VB.Net

You need to learn to resist the urge to append ".Net" whenever you see "VB" by itself.

The two are worlds apart.

#29     Aug 10, 2010
  10. januson

januson

Once again you are referring to VB.NET, why?

I was curious about how you did the threading in Visual Basic, not VB.NET.

And no... even in .NET threading is not easy at all.

But please answer the initial question.

#30     Aug 10, 2010