Visual Basic & Tradestation

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by maxwell_e, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Anyone use VB and Tradestation? I'd like to bypass EasyLanguage.

I've read in posts that EasyLanguage error handling is not as robust, among other things.

Mainly interested in the "gotchas" when using VB w/Tradestation.

Also, can anyone point me to a TS doc that covers this. (I have the PDF: "EasyLanguage Extension SDK Library
    Reference"...)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. TGregg

TGregg

I use VB and tradestation, but they do not talk to eachother. It might be easier now, but it used to be a pain to get TS to talk with a VB .Net program.

I encourage you to check out the tradestation forums, there are a lot of helpful folks there who know all about how to interface the two. TS forums are limited to current TS subscribers though.

3. It is not too difficult to make the 2 communicate now. If you are just trying to get rid of easy language, you may also want to look in to TradeStations "executescript" reserve word.

4. Exactly. I'd prefer VB, a "transferable" language. Spent many hours working with Amibroker AFL, which worked well and was very slick but did not have trading/automation support. (AFL supports IB for trading, but that's not a route for me at the moment). I'll be with TS by month's end, so I'm trying to get a jump on things.

Pro_Trader, I searched the EasyLanguage Ref Guide (PDF for TS6) but couldn't find 'executescript'. Perhaps a new feature since TS6?

Been a while since I messed with VB, but I'm guessing one route is, import "tskit.dll" into VB and on from there.

5. TGregg

TGregg

definitely. I'm running Version: 8.0 (Build 1869), and it shows up in the key word color in easylanguage. If you are trying to integrate TS6 to VB .Net you will have a harder route than TS8. It can still be done, though. Or so I am told.

6. Yes it's a new feature in TS8. They haven't done any documentation on how it works, you can only ask questions in the TS forum. Try this link.

https://www.tradestation.com/Discus...chive=1&selFrom=-1&Session_ID=195800-00018976

7. TGregg

TGregg

IIRC, he won't be able to go there unless he is a current TS subscriber. And TS6 isn't supported any more, so I presume that he is not, but I could be wrong.

8. OK. This attachment is the basic tutorial. Not a lot of info, but you can see how it is done.

• tsvb.jpg
      File size:
      34.4 KB
      Views:
  9. Thanks Pro_Trader (& TGregg) for this great info. Exactly what I needed, and this is very good news.

Will be on TS8 soon, in the meantime I can install that VB.Net compiler and brush up.

Eh, may all your automated trades fill and be successful.