Vista = Windows ME.

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by seasideheights, May 11, 2008.

1. jsmith

jsmith

I plan on using XP Professional until Windows 7 and skip Vista completely just like I skipped Windows ME.

It's unfortunate everyone will be forced to use Vista pre-installed when buying a new computer after June 30, 2008.

#41     May 29, 2008
  2. I put my Vista laptop to sleep. When I woke it up, I found that the keys were misassigned. For example, I would press an H and get a W or something. I shut down a program using task manager and the keys went back to normal. I was running a lot of programs at the time & lots of open tabs in Firefox so I was probably using tons of RAM. When RAM is stretched to the limit can it cause this problem?

#42     May 29, 2008
  3. kinar

kinar

I've used Vista in both a software development environment and a gamer environment since launch and had zero problems that could be blamed on vista. Even running some games that are 10 years old.

Sure software development is different, however, it is just a matter of learning the quirks of an OS. I had the same problems when XP was released and had the same problems when switching from windows to linux or mac.

What kind of problems specificly? I use telnet daily on vista and have never had a problem. Granted I don't use it in scripting, so I am curious as to what sort of problem

Using mail clients is so 1997. Get with the times. As for IE copying FF. Are you talking about tabbed browsing? If so, then feel free to include the fact that Firefox "copied" this technology from Opera.

Agreed

#43     May 30, 2008
  4. Vista is sh!t, pure and simple. It represents everything awful about microsoft to the Nth degree. 95, 98, XP all had their problems but they worked. This XP need SP2 talk is ridiculous, I used XP from launch to about a year ago without SP2 and was fine... MS will be an obsolete joke in 10 years.

POSTED AT LIFEHACKER "What makes Vista worth it?"
    1. Stability: I couldn't handle XP it crashed all the time; BSOD city. Vista does not, now I just need to reinstall RealPlayer Gold, McAfee and KazaaLite then I'll be good..

2. Search function: I don't understand file naming conventions or data management. Luckily, Vista runs a couple services that constantly index everything. Omnipresent speed reduction and resource footprint is totally worth it to find "cat_birthday.jpg" 6 seconds faster.

3. SECURITY: Vista is the only operating system to be partially developed by the NSA (National Security Agency). The NSA can database my activity and/or backdoor in to my PC at their leisure to ensure my safety and security: awesome.

4. DRM: Listening to music I own isn't a right, it's a privilege. It's a well known fact that terrorists fund themselves with piracy revenues somehow. With the help of Vista DRM, NSA and illegal surveillance of US citizens we'll get those dirty terrorists, and protect corporate revenues in the process.
    Vista also phones home a lot, which is cool because I have nothing to hide.

5. Vista laptops keep you warm: Vista on a $400 Acer 2GHz Celeron, 512mb shared RAM? No problem, MS and BestBuy wouldn't do you wrong! The subsequent fire will be almost as beautiful as Vista's Aero theme (face of God).

6. Appearance: I am sexually attracted to semi-transparent buttons made to appear as though they are curved and have a light source above them. So much so I turned my life upside down, "upgraded" to Vista and spent the last 46 hours troubleshooting drivers.

7. Increased RAM capacity: More RAM = more awesome! First of all, as a Vista fan, I don't even know what 64bit means, so the 4GB 32 bit cab is irrelevant to me. 8GB of power here! Doesn't matter that virtually no programs (except high level design/3D) can make use of over 2GB RAM (except Vista itself when it's failing [often]).

Vista is the future of computing folks, anyone can see that... Linux I believe to be some kind of pie, or possibly a truck bed liner coating. and Mac can't play SeriousSam 2 with DirectX 10 =pwnd. Vista FTW!!!

SERIOUS- My Vista positive: it gave me, and countless others, urgent reason to adapt to Linux.

#44     May 30, 2008
  5. Second request, thank you.

NN

#45     May 30, 2008
  6. jumper

jumper

This site is for traders. For the purpose of trading, Vista sucks. Its slow and it's unstable with the trading platform that I'm using. Most techs that I've spoken to say that their software should run on it but they won't support it.

It's even slow when running something simple like MS Office. I'm all about speed and Vista fails. Maybe if I just browsed the internet it would be fine. The boot up times are slow right off the bat.

I simply can't understand why there are so many traders pitching Vista for trading machines. There a reason why there are no enterprise machines on Vista.

#46     May 30, 2008
  7. Fuck..
    I just ordered a new computer...
    I too have been very hesitant to get VIsta, though it looks cool, I hear it's a big hog...

All this talk makes me want to return it...
    stick with my XP

maybe just swap for a new motherboard, processor..???

#47     May 30, 2008
  8. Yes, I remember, Win ME came with a bang & left in a whimper. What hype was created! :mad: My friend today still is upset for buying the HP machine with Win ME installed. It keeps crashing, new softwares do not run. New Hardware do not run, need drivers to download. Imagine even messengers crashed it! He got mad & bought an assembled one & put Win98 & WinXP. He says 98 version was really a good improvement over win 3.1, after that things failed. Sad & poor show from Microsoft, a big company.

#48     Jun 6, 2008
  9. Downgrade to XP. That's what I did. On a new Penryn Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 system (Lenovo).

If you got Windows Vista Business ot Ultimate version, you can get an XP 'downgrade' for free.

#49     Jun 7, 2008
  10. Tums

Tums

#50     Nov 15, 2008