Vista = Windows ME.

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by seasideheights, May 11, 2008.

1. vista is absolutely useless and i wish my laptop didnt bring it. as a matter of fact i took off the vista appearance and have the regular windows 2000 appearance . end of message.

#31     May 28, 2008
  2. You asked me (and others) to come up with three things that I need which Vista provides. I did. Besides that, your made-up statistics are laughable at best. ASPM, for one, is in very high demand today.

They did. It's called Windows XP 64-bit. It came out before PCI-Express was invented, and the driver model rather sucked as far as 64-bit support. So they couldn't mandate hardware vendors provide 64-bit drivers for it. Windows Vista 64-bit fixed that.

Honestly, if you don't like the OS then don't use it. But spreading bad information just shows that you really don't know much on the topic.

I can only assume your motivation for posting without knowledge lies in your disdain for Microsoft in general. If that is the case then you should simply say so. Anti-Microsoft bias is very prevalent these days, so you will likely find yourself with lots of supporters. But you won't find me among them.

-Raystonn

#32     May 29, 2008
  3. Please do.

NN

#33     May 29, 2008
  4. By profession I am system administrator since last 10 years and I will agree that windows VISTA is not bad OS for average consumer who just want to watch video and do office work + internet browsing, however its not yet stable for hard core gamers, software developers and power users.

For example Microsoft has totally screwed telnet client in windows vista, it just don't work as it is suppose to work and this has created many problems for me because I manage Linux servers and routers through automated telnet scripts. Now they just don't work, so i have to keep XP machine running by side anyway.

Microsoft has also screwed windows mail client and have copied firefox design in internet explorer 7.

They have made many changes in interface which was not required because people are use to doing things in old way. Why change?

There are some softwares which do not yet work properly in windows vista and trust me if only one of it doesn't work properly for you, it will make your life like hell.

So IMO, even after doing good job in VISTA Microsoft screwed up tons of things because not all old softwares are compatible in vista and thats the major problem.

The people complaining about vista slowness must understand one thing, if new software will not require fast hardware and all other kind of upgrades, how the hell people related to IT industry will earn their living?

VISTA = Hardware hungry = new hardware = high computer sales = high profits for hard ware and software companies

VISTA = Problems = More support = More jobs in IT industry.

In the end, VISTA is good if it works well, its not if it doesn't work for you. For me its doesn't work the way i want it, so i will give 6 out of 10 to vista.

#34     May 29, 2008
  5. Tums

Tums

it wasn't that long ago, when XP was first introduced...

XP = Hardware hungry = new hardware = high computer sales = high profits for hard ware and software companies

XP = Problems = More support = More jobs in IT industry.

History repeats itself.

#35     May 29, 2008
  6. i use vista and got a user account control message that says "use a legacy - CPL elevated"
    what does this mean?

#36     May 29, 2008
  7. TUMS there is one big difference.

When XP came out most people were either using Win98 or its replacement WinME. One lacked important features and the other ... Others were running WinNT or Win2000 which gave stability etc but not the software compatibility that home users needed.

So now we have XP SP3 with good stability, good compatibility, and pretty good security, efficiency and reliability.

Along comes Vista with a couple of unimportant minor features plus some eye candy. And a new set of bugs and hardware demands.

You see what I mean?

#37     May 29, 2008
  8. Vista is a pile of crap, even after the SP1 release.
    That's why there is so much talk of Windows 7 these days.

Expect Windows 7 late 2009.

#38     May 29, 2008
  9. XP is not perfect.

* The GUI just sucks big time. Compare it to a MAC or to Vista, just drag a window around the desktop and you see how hard XP sucks (also watch your cpu meter while you're doing that). Vista has its GUI based on DirectX, that's why it's so much better and everything works/moves more fluently/faster. That's actually the one thing i DO like about Vista.
    * Security sucks. I don't want a website to be able to install all kinds of software to my pc without my intervention. Still, that happens all the time. Also, file sharing over a network is very difficult to setup (at least, if you want to have it secure)
    * 4 gb ram limit (at least the 32bit version)
    * The 'search' function couldn't be any crappier/slower. I always use 'effective file search' ( http://www.sowsoft.com/search.htm ), which functions the way the windows search function SHOULD function. Especially if you want to search for a word in a file, forget about the windows search function, it just doesn't work correctly.
    * Multi monitor support still sucks (2 videocards or more)
    * Multithreading support isn't very good/fast in XP

So yeah, I could use a new OS, especially GUI & security improvement and that's exactly what Vista does. Still, I've tried Vista and it just doesn't work for me (I could list the things I hate about Vista but it are probably the same things everybody seems to hate about Vista). I too do think of Vista as ME: just skip this version and hopefully the next OS will really be an improvement.

#39     May 29, 2008
  10. Couldn't agree more - which is why I made the move to Mac. Started with 15" MacBook Pro and love it. When my PC dies I am getting a 24" iMac.

#40     May 29, 2008