Vista or XP?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maverick74, Nov 18, 2007.

1. I'm not sure what you mean by that.

If you compare Windows to eg. Linux, the only big advantage I see is that it installs and runs right out of the box on any (x86) platform. With Linux you still have to hunt down specific drivers and it often a pain to get them installed. It's a major selling point. Ironically M$ threw away this advantage with Vista.

I don't think the drivers is what bothers you with Windows, it is the enormous footpint of the OS itself, the drivers are tiny in comparison. This is worse with Vista.
    It won't be possible for M$ to ever cleanup the mess and make an 'overhauled' Windows.Probably the reason why Vista is not really any advancement compared to XP is that they are to scared to break this cardhouse.
    Seriously consider it possible that M$ will come out with their own version of Linux in a few years, because that is expandable and maintainable and it keeps working, always. Of course they will have to fight their way through the GPL-licenses, a fight they already started in their ususal way (creating FUD about Linux patents without giving any details).

Stay with XP for a few years and see what happens. On my system I wouldn't even see the pretty UI; all the trading stuff is autostarted after bootup and takes up the whole screen :)

#11     Nov 18, 2007
  2. gnome

gnome

No. Every device has a driver.

You could probably run XP without installing any drivers, but then you'd have to rely on XP's library ones or default to a generic... none of which are current nor optimal.

#12     Nov 18, 2007
  3. I have been using XP Home for years with no issues. What is the benefit of using XP Pro?

Thanks

#13     Nov 18, 2007
  4. gnome

gnome

1. There are a few additional features in Pro which are missing in Home.

2. "Support" will continue for 2 years after XP Home is no longer available. "Extended Support" on Pro will continue for 5 years after support has ended for Home. (No Extended Support on Home, as it's a "consumer" product... whereas Pro is a "business" product.)

I switched all of my computers with Home to Pro a couple of years ago so I wouldn't have to deal with the extended support issue.

#14     Nov 18, 2007
  5. Thanks for the quick response.
    By "Support" I assume you are referring to "Windows Updates"? Did you upgrade right over XP Home or did you do a clean install of XP Pro?

Thanks

#15     Nov 18, 2007
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Yes, I would also like to know what he means by "support".

#16     Nov 18, 2007
  7. I truly dislike Vista. In all honesty you should stick with XP Pro.

Don't worry about the new UI, I found nothing there.

If you are really after a good UI then use XP Pro for trading and buy a Mac with Leopard for everyday work.

I usually recommed the trading workstation to be just that, for trading, so the combo should work well.

If you got Mac Phobia then just stick to XP Pro but Vista will just slow your system down while providing absolutely nothing of value.

Anek

#17     Nov 18, 2007
  8. I'm staying with 2000 Pro.

#18     Nov 18, 2007
  9. gnome

gnome

Answering this question and the one above... Yes, updates for security, bug fixes and whatever other.

I did not install Pro "over" Home. When I was due to do a fresh install, I simply did it with Pro instead of Home... including a removal of old partitions and reformatting.

#19     Nov 18, 2007
  10. Yep, for trading XP Pro is the best windows platform.

Especially on a laptop Vista sucks.

#20     Nov 18, 2007