vista not compatible with matrox 450

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Free Thinker, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Dustin

Dustin

How did you switch? From what I could find on the topic people were saying it was best to use dual boot rather than wiping out Vista. I would like to dump it...got a link?

#11     Sep 17, 2007
  2. A backed up the Vista setup and then did a complete reformat for WinXP Pro. I usually do a complete reformat 2x per year anyway. I don't have a link for switching and I avoid dual boot for the disk space it takes and the complications that might arise. I just keep it simple.

#12     Sep 17, 2007
  3. Bob111

Bob111

4. qll

qll

8300 has AGP not PCI-E. right?
    how do you set up dual with one VGA and one DVI?

#14     Oct 14, 2007
  5. gnome

gnome

Yes, AGP. Just plug a 2nd monitor into the other port (it's OK of one is VGA and the other is DVI, though the quality of display might not be the same for both ports) and go into Display/Settings and check the "Extend Desktop to this monitor" box.

Some cards require you to install a driver for both ports to function.

#15     Oct 14, 2007
  6. i got an email back from matrox on this. they said vista requires that all video cards use the same type driver. they said there is nothing they can do to fix the problem.

#16     Oct 14, 2007
  7. The last nvidia video card I got required me to removed the integrated nvidia drivers on the pc thus eliminating that outlet for a monitor. I had to install a second video card to get another monitor up and running. Dont know if theyre all this way.

#17     Oct 14, 2007
  8. Never had that problem. I usually use the on-board port in addition to additional nVidia GeForce or Quadro cards and I have not had to do this.

#18     Oct 14, 2007
  9. gnome

gnome

1. Onboard video always has the potential to be problematic for multi-monitor rigs.... good idea to avoid.

2. It's best to have only 1 video driver installed. Video driver conflicts can be especially troublesome.

#19     Oct 14, 2007