Vista is lame

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by promagma, Oct 14, 2009.

1. kinar

kinar

Lucky for you, Win7 has been out for 2+years. It is built on the same core as Vista so all of the hardware drivers just work.

I don't remember the last time I had a problem with any of my Vista boxes, nor my win7 box

#11     Oct 19, 2009
  2. Get a Mac, I got off the treadmill in 2006.

Windows is shit.

#12     Oct 20, 2009
  3. Oo Oh! now you've done it
    [​IMG]

#13     Oct 20, 2009
  4. there are an almost infinite # of morons here.

#14     Oct 25, 2009
  5. TGregg

TGregg

That's one of two things I don't like. The other is all the apps want a desktop icon, to be added to your start menu, and loading at bootup! Take Adobe Acrobat Reader, for instance. I don't need my PC to take longer to start just to load up some dumb PDF reader. I don't read PDFs very often. And I certainly don't need additional clutter on my desktop to launch it. Who sits down to their PC and says "OK, first I fire up AA Reader, then find the PDF I need"? And the same goes for "Quick"time - it wants to load up at system start. Do we really want a Quicktime desktop icon? I know, you can shut them off during install, but they default to being on. And you can't disable the startup part from the install, you have to fire up msconfig or hack the reg.

Even many games these days want to start up at boot time. Grand Theft Auto IV and Steam come to mind. Every company thinks their two bit POS utility is the best thing since Zork and everybody will want to run the thing several times an hour. But that's not the case.

#15     Oct 26, 2009
  6. promagma

promagma

+1

#16     Oct 26, 2009
  7. dude, you should have shit canned Acrobat Reader long ago and loaded up Foxit.

Getting a windows system running in top form is not a job for the lazy or perma noobs.

Those clowns buy Macs.

I have next to nothing running at startup, since I control my rig. If some app wants to load at start, and I don't need it to, I cut its balls off.

Those without machete , buy Macs.

[​IMG]

Look ma, no hands

#17     Nov 2, 2009
  8. Stock,

No disagreement on Macs but u might want to trade in foxit yet.

Remember how acrobat 4 remembered where you were in a book? And then it stopped doing it. Foxit doesn't either.

Try PDF-XChange Viewer for one of the nicest pdf viewers around - and it has the old "remember" feature.

#18     Nov 2, 2009
  9. dc101

dc101

FoxIt Reader 3 has that: Tools -> Preferences -> History

#19     Nov 2, 2009
  10. Thanks dc.

Next time I decide to do a complete rebuild I'll have one extra choice to make :)

(Note: it will be a rebuild of XP of course).

#20     Nov 2, 2009