Vista for $611 a joke? Try $713!

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by gnome, Jan 3, 2007.

1. I have installed Solaris 8 on PCs a few years ago, but not recently. I've done quite a lot of sofware development on Solaris. It is an excellent OS and Solaris 10 has some unique desirable features, but if installing on a PC I'd check hardware compatabilitly - especially graphics cards. Possibly Nvidia would be a good choice.

#31     Jan 5, 2007
  2. :D That's pretty much all I use ... driver compatibility has always been top-of-the-line, although a lot of ATi fanbois would love to disagree. :p

#32     Jan 5, 2007
  3. #33     Jan 9, 2007
  4. Hey u could always get it via BitLOrd or e-mule along with a corporate crack like my neighbor did. Terrible, just terrible. LOL.

#34     Jan 9, 2007
  5. Adobian

Adobian

I think Vista is more resource hogging, meaning you meed more horse poower to run. Unless there is a stable 64 bit trading software, I wouldn't upgrade to Vista because I want to my software to run as efficiently as possible. Upgrading to Vista might slow you down in 32 bit with your current hardware.

I would run a 64 bit version of Vista if I could, with the latest Core Duo 2 CPU and at least 4GB of RAM for many other things.

Ideally, running Linux for trading is best if you don't need anything other things besides your trading platform.

#35     Jan 10, 2007
  6. Where is "713" in that? Or is there some version higher than Ultimate I am not aware of?

Microsoft Windows Vista Magically Ultimate Edition?

#36     Jan 10, 2007
  7. gnome

gnome

Sift through the thread... you'll find it.

#37     Jan 10, 2007
  8. Oh, it's their fault for believing the Inquirer then ... I thought they had a legitimate source .. my bad

#38     Jan 10, 2007
  9. Ultimate is the top-of-the-line edition. I don't think many need it however, Vista Home Premium is equal to XP Pro so it will be the mainstream version.

The $713 comes form a linux fanboy who doesn't believe in currency conversion. Its in British Pounds not USD. As I said before, inaccurate title.

Since the majority of users on E.T. use USD, it would have been thoughtful for the author to do some simple currency conversions.

It should read: "Vista for $611 Pounds a joke? Try $713 Pounds!"

or more accurate:

"Vista for $221 USD a joke? Try $259 USD!"

But then no one would read the thread since those prices are in-line with expectations. Thus the inaccurate title reference.

#39     Jan 10, 2007
  10. @crazy: fanboys are unnecessarily pushy. :\

And yeah, I might just end up getting Business Edition for my laptop since the graphics processor isn't that great. I'll have to weigh Ultimate to it, but I really don't think I'll need it. Thanks for the insight.

#40     Jan 10, 2007