Vista for $611 a joke? Try $713!

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by gnome, Jan 3, 2007.

1. romik

romik

I read somewhere that MS will support XP till 2015? If that's the case, depending whether your other soft will still support XP you should be just fine

#11     Jan 3, 2007
  2. Keep running XP. For starters you should see if your PC is capable of running Vista, because nearly 3/4's of the time, that will take away any potential decision making process for you.

#12     Jan 3, 2007
  3. Buy a Linux magazine for $10.00 and get Red Hat Fedora 6 on DVD for free. Every month the Linux magazines feature a Linux distribution and this month is Red Hat Fedora 6.

http://www.redhat.com

#13     Jan 3, 2007
  4. Inaccurate title (didn't I see this same post about a month ago?) from a linux fanboy.

Here are the real prices (in USD):

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/soft...-pricing-announced-still-expensive-198616.php

Full Version
    •Vista Ultimate: $399
    •Vista Business: $299
    •Vista Home Premium: $239
    •Vista Home Basic: $199

Upgrade
    •Vista Ultimate: $259
    •Vista Business: $199
    •Vista Home Premium: $159
    •Vista Home Basic: $99

No one needs ultimate. Vista Home Premium will be the main platform everyone runs. And with that, the price is about the same as XP.

I agree its expensive. Will stay with XP for a while. Linux is just not ready for primetime yet. Too many issues. I need a primary system that works; cannot spend all day tweaking things. Linux is ok for one of my test boxes that sits across from me. Ubuntu is my choice distro.

Os X has no trading platform support. If I am going to dual boot an x86 mac, then I will just stay with windows xp on a pc platform. Why buy Steve a new plane???

#14     Jan 3, 2007
  5. gnome

gnome

We all know what a great ego stroke it is to get post on ET, but you really should check your facts before calling "innacurate".... (In other words, Grandpa's Wisdom says, "Be sure you're not bullsh*t yourself before calling bullsh*t on someone else")

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36686

"... Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit & 64-Bit Edition DVD - Retail (66R-00020) will cost astronomical £364.24 including VAT almost three times more expensive than the OEM version...."

364.24BP @ 1.96BP/USD = $713.91

#15     Jan 3, 2007
  6. billp

billp

Thanks Deltaspread and Romik

I heard that Windows Vista had problems. I will be buying either windows XP home or windows Xp professional or windows vista this year. Haven't made up my mind yet. Hate to make decisions when it comes to IT. :(

#16     Jan 4, 2007
  7. bluud

bluud

The one thing I really hate about microsoft is with all the money they make they don't bother developing a descent product, all of their products suck, all of them have bugs and full of pathetic errors, their OSs work with less than 10% efficiency, they just consume CPU and Memory and even HardDrive space for nothing (maybe collecting your information :D).

I'm not saying linux is better, but I don't expect it to be better either.

I'll give you one example; a few months ago my hard drive crashed, windows XP pro would load but when trying to access the D drive it couldn't copy any of the files to a back up drive, their stupid application would pop up to copy the file but then the whole system would crash. I tried all hard drive repairing software, didn't work. So I re-booted the system using PC Linux Bootable CD (the whole PC linux OS runs from the CD, there is no need to install it), and tried copying the files with the application on PC Linux, even though the format of the D drive was NTFS (which is a windows format), Linux was ABLE to copy the files to the back-up drive. If windows is so cheap that it can't access the hardware properly, why do they even sell it? (for 1$ or 1000$) :confused:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me tell you another story (a bit off-topic); a few days ago there was this show on tv, where the guy was literally worshipping and kissing bill gates ass, with water drooling down his lips he was saying:

"bill gates is the richest and smartest person on earth, and you know what out of the 500B$ he has, oh I'm sorry 50B$ he has, each of his children will only inherit $10M, he is so smart for not leaving all his money for his kids, he is a brain ... and you know what he has donated a great portion of his wealth, like 400M$ to the poor africans, he is so smart he hasn't given the money to them in one place but has actually invested the money in the bank so they get the interest the bank pays, he is so smart see he doesn't waste his money, and I assure you that 400M$ will become 4B$ in 10 years, and they can use it to build their future"

(first of all the poor people get a small portion of the interest the bank pays on the money and bill gates foundation takes the rest, also he has not given them the money but can take the money from the bank when ever he wants, third he is a fucking moran for taking out the US dollar he earned mainly from Americans and donating it to africans, and forth how can bank interest turn 400M$ into 4B$ in 10 years, even if they don't spend the interest each year)

the funniest thing about this son of a bitch was that he was Iranian :D

oh iranians keep on kissing American butts! :p

#17     Jan 4, 2007
  8. gnome

gnome

You should be advised that Microsoft has stated "... Windows XP Home's support will end 2 years after the release of Vista. Extended Support for XP Pro will continue for 5 years beyond when support for XP Home has ended..."

As it stands now, support for XP Home to end in 2009, but not until 2014 for XP Pro.

#18     Jan 4, 2007
  9. He is right. Definitely go with PRO. I got the impression that you were already running HOME and were contemplating bumping up to Vista.

#19     Jan 4, 2007
  10. billp

billp

Thanks gnome,

That was extremely useful. Glad I asked before getting it. :D

#20     Jan 5, 2007