Vista Dual Display Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DataCruncher, May 7, 2008.

1. Don't remember. But I did get into the settings that let you determine the monitor setup.
    I did get my Vista laptop working with the external monitor.
    I didn't have to boot up in safe mode, I just unplugged the external and restarted the laptop.
    No problem.
    I didn't think of this, but you could Google search Vista and multiple monitors and see whatcha get.

#11     May 7, 2008
  2. apparently you have to hold the f4 down for several seconds...I did that and now i have my data showing up on my laptop screen. however it's still not back to normal. I have now unhooked the external monitor. my laptop screen is now identified as monitor #1. however the display profile for monitor #1 is now called "multiple monitors", and it only gives me the resolution choices that you would have with a CRT monitor. so now on my laptop screen I am stuck with a weird resolution.
    somehow my laptop is treating its own screen with the display profile settings that it would normally give an external CRT monitor

thanks for the help as this forum is more active than a lot of tech support forums, hopefully someone has some further ideas on this

#12     May 7, 2008

3. Hi,
    >When the laptop was woken up from sleep mode, screen was completely black.

I just got a new laptop with Vista and right away had a problem when resuming from sleep mode. Go to the MS site and you will find that the problem has various symptoms and no clear cut solution. I reinstalled Vista and so far ok.

#13     May 7, 2008
  4. does anybody know how to create a new display profile with a custom resolution? my laptop is stuck with a weird resolution because my machine is mistakenly treating its own screen as if it were an external cathode-ray tube monitor. with the display profile it is using now it limits the resolution. I just want my old settings back

#14     May 8, 2008
  5. nkhoi

nkhoi

right click on your screen, properties, setting, what does it say? Can you post a pic of that?

#15     May 8, 2008
  6. Did you click the lower button in the system restore window? That will open a window that shows restore points created when software was installed, when windows update was done etc.

#16     May 8, 2008
  7. just update the video card driver. that should reset everything.
    your graphics cards functions are disabled for some reason. it is basically running in safe mode.

#17     May 9, 2008
  8. interesting. when I look under the troubleshoot tab on the graphics card properties, it says "your current display driver does not allow changes to be made to the hardware acceleration settings".....does that necessarily mean it's in safe mode?

#18     May 9, 2008
  9. It means the card is not properly functioning with the OS there is a communication problem somewhere. try to update the graphics driver. It wil take you five minutes and it won't hurt anything.

#19     May 10, 2008
  10. are you sure it won't hurt anything? with the way my laptop has been acting I'm worried that if I update the driver it might end up not displaying anything on the screen at all. maybe I should create a restore point first

#20     May 11, 2008