Virus scanners

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by babe714, Sep 19, 2001.

1. babe714

babe714

Any suggestions on a good virus scanner to run. Thanks

2. tom_p

tom_p

3. def

def Sponsor

the other popular one is norton. I've used both and both are good. The key is to make sure your definitions are updated regularly.
    Norton offers an option to pass all your e-mail through their site for checking.
    http://www.symantec.com/

4. Def & all who use Norton email virus scanning

The setup for email scanning seems to indicate that all email goes from your desktop computer to Symantec for scanning and then back to your desktop email client. I know it sounds screwy but that's why I'm asking here. Can this be right?

Thanks! Jim

PS- Good trading today, everyone!

5. def

def Sponsor

i don't think so but I really do not know. i think it changes your pop mail address and routes through there server before it hits your e-mail program. I had a few mails attachments rejected in my in box. If you don't have an answer by day end, feel free to shoot me an e-mail or message and i'll ask the tech guy in my office how it gets routed.

6. I have never worried about viruses in the past and have never used an anti-virus program. I back up everything I need on discs and have reinstalled my o/s so many times its become routine. I was under the impression that you had to open an attachment to get a virus so I would never open one I suspected or download from a site I didnt trust. However it appears all this has changed. From what I read this latest virus does not require you to do anything. What I would like to know is: can a virus affect your BIOS? That would cause me some problems although I guess you could reinstall the bios with a flash utility but that I have not done before and would just as soon not have to.