Virus question

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by tamvik, Jul 24, 2002.

1. tamvik

tamvik

Hi
    Can anybody help?
    Is there any Virus software that can scan your system
    from Floppy disk or CD-Rom, so I do not have to load to a
    Hard disk?
    Thanks in advance

tamvik

2. Babak

Babak

You can do a scan on the internet. Go to :

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/

...and click on "check for security risks" at bottom right then follow the instructions

3. tamvik

tamvik

Babak

Thanks for the reply
    Iwill check it out, but is it safe to trust web site to go through your sytem?

tamvik

4. Go to pandasoftware.com

use their Active Scan

5. ZTrader

ZTrader

why are you worried about loading the SW onto your HD? memory or resource problem? IMO, you should have antivirus SW installed and running on your PC all the time.

just curious

6. tamvik

tamvik

ZTrader

I have loaded Norton antivirus 2002 and my Outlook expess
    started to act funny. So I figured if I can run it from a disk that
    will solve the problem. But maybe I do not understand the importance Antivirus.

tamvik

7. Just a followup. I've succesfully fixed an infected system by booting norton AV from CD and removing the virus before the system/virus had a chance to boot.

8. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

Anti-virus program needs to be installed in your hard drive to check virus at all times.

Floopy disk with simple program usually is used to boot up when it is infected to detect & clean.

9. ZTrader

ZTrader

Sorry that I can't help you with the outlook express issue. I strongly suggest that once you do get this issue resolved that you install NAV on your hard drive and have it running in the background all the time.

If you have a broadband connection (i.e. always on), I would also suggest getting an internet security (i.e. Norton) program. Shame you already had NAV, NIS2002 comes with nav and you can get it cheap on the web (i.e. ~ $10 S&h through Yahoo Shopping).

Just my 2 cents.

10. tamvik

tamvik

Thanks everybody for your help, I see that I need to educate myself on this Virus matter. I have been on the internet for about 3 years and was lucky so far. I just use simple Zone alarm
    firewall.
    Thanks again everyone for your help

#10     Jul 24, 2002