Virus Problems

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by macal425, Mar 18, 2002.

1. OK, I FINALLY got McAfee to work. It says I have the "Back-Door-GQ" and the "Keylog-Diablo" virus. The "ActiveShield" window pops up. It has 2 buttons - clean and delete. When I hit "Clean" it says "file cannot be cleaned. We recommend you delete it." When I hit "Delete" it says "Error deleting file." So I go to McAfee help and find "When File Cannot be Deleted or Cleaned." It refers me to the web site. I search for both viruses and the search turns up nothing!

What do I do! Some freak in Russia has a log of all my keystrokes.

Help is appreciated. I know wiping the drive will probably fix it, but any other solution would be preferred.

And Baron. Post this jerk's IP please!!! Or hell, just PM it to me.

#31     Mar 20, 2002
  2. Did you search & delete manually the known offending files as Ken_DTU has suggested?

As a last resort, do you know how to reformat your harddrive & reinstall applications?

Also, you'd better change your financial etc passwords before your accts are cleaned out. You don't want to go to Russia after your money do you?

#32     Mar 20, 2002
  3. They files cannot be deleted. It says "file is in use. Cannot be deleted."

Yeah, I can wipe everything, but I would really like to be able to fix it without doing so.

I am downloading the trend-micro online virus scan right now. They at least had something on one of the viruses (virii?). But they said to delete a specific registry file and it does not exist on my system

The drama continues......

#33     Mar 20, 2002
  4. By the way, I don't have any financial passwords, only an AOL password. I have a grand total of about a hundred bucks to steal, so it is not a huge deal.

I feel like typing "F You Russia" over and over again.

#34     Mar 20, 2002
  5. nkhoi

nkhoi

To wipe out out those cookies (store password to this site for example) I dowload webwasher and wash ALL cookies, free up 200mg of spaces. http://www.webroot.com/index.htm

#35     Mar 20, 2002
  6. Have you tried to MANULLAY delete the files (not with norton or Mcaffee) but with Explorer as ken_DTU did?

What firewall you using?

#36     Mar 20, 2002
  7. nkhoi

nkhoi

#37     Mar 20, 2002
  8. "Have you tried to MANULLAY delete the files?"

If you are talking to me, then yes I have. "Cannot be deleted. File is in use"

#38     Mar 20, 2002
  9. The reason the file cannot be deleted is that it is running in the background. You need to find what processes (programs) are currently running then stop the process in question. You should then be able to delete the file.

I use WIN NT and can't remember how to stop background programs on other operating systems. Perhaps someone else can walk you through it.

#39     Mar 20, 2002
  10. tom_p

tom_p

If you want, we could meet in the chatroom where I (and hopefully others) could walk you through different alternatives.

#40     Mar 20, 2002