Virus Problems

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by macal425, Mar 18, 2002.

1. The URL was something like http://blahblahebook.tripod.com (don´t want to reproduce it)
    The filename is "trader.exe" and if you run a viruscheck you might not find anything at all (don´t know why)
    BUT: They postet the stupid link to really a lot of boards and I heard from several people about strange behaviour of this file.

#11     Mar 18, 2002
  2. Thanks FX-Trader,

Even better for the info.

Nihaba Ashi

#12     Mar 18, 2002

3. It was from the ebook download that the problems started. I've already warned people on that thread. I've also ran a virus scan that didn't pick anything up.

#13     Mar 18, 2002
  4. Sanjuro

Sanjuro

It's not a virus. It's just a program created by some trader
    who wants to get back at other traders for taking his money.
    The programs have different purposes (some delete all system
    files off the computer) while others open back doors to your
    system so the creator can look onto your computer.

You should just backup and format your hard disk to be on
    the safe side in case the program left anything in your OS.

Virus Scanner scans for viruses but it won't warn you if you
    download a malicious program.

#14     Mar 18, 2002
  5. I've had viruses that weren't immeadiately picked up by a virus scanner even though I always have the latest update.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Robert

#15     Mar 18, 2002
  6. GeeTO69

GeeTO69

go to ....Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information>Tools>Registry Checker

#16     Mar 18, 2002
  7. Yes, that´s the point. It does not contain any code to reproduce itself. It´s just a program that connects to some server in the internet for some purpose that we do not know. The program code will look to any virus scanner not much different as anything like ICQ, mIRC, Real Player, XY Messenger ... and so on. (XY=AOL, MSN, Yahoo, ...)

#17     Mar 18, 2002
  8. I used it with no problems yet (knock on wood). I posted the only "good" stuff in it on the original "free e-book" thread. The ebook is from tradingacademy.com - The on-line trading academy. I think you are giving those guys WAY too much credit with this malicious program thing.

Does this guy look capable of computer sabotage?

#18     Mar 18, 2002
  9. tom_p

tom_p

Thug_Life, there is no apparent connection between the tripod.com address and tradingacademy.com (from where you got the photo). I assume the former plagiarized the latter's work. The point is that in order to download the ebook, the unknown file trading.exe is run - macal425 has complained of ill effects and daytradingebook has not come forward to clear this up, so till he does his thread should be deleted.

#19     Mar 18, 2002
  10. Dude, have you read the thing? Each article is written by one of the OLTA instructors. They probably did not put their name on the tripod site on purpose.

And I'm sorry if someone's computer got F'd up, but he did edit the registry which is a big no-no if you're not a computer person.

#20     Mar 18, 2002