Virus on my laptop

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hughb, Oct 10, 2012.

1. hughb

hughb

Another thing worth noting - I have had one other virus attack many years ago when I used to have a dial-up modem. It just occured to me that I first noticed the virus in the same way; by clicking on a link to a site that had nothing to do with the virus.

I don't really know how this one originally got on my computer, but I'm guessing it was from image searching on Google. Could it also have come from Youtube videos? I don't really know, but I don't remember watching anything unusual there, just the standard fare of music videos.

Anyway, I'm fully up and running now. Thanks again for the help and tips.

#21     Oct 11, 2012
  2. I do the same. Reformat all my computers a few times per year to wipe it clean and start fresh. Takes some time, but IMO it's worth it.

To the OP - I had a nasty virus awhile back and the only way I got rid of it was to reinstall windows. Viruses cannot hide from a fresh install of windows. Not a system restore or some factory setting -- a complete reformat and reinstall of windows. You just have to make sure you backup anything on the computer being reformatted b/c it will be lost in the reformat. This is also the reason I keep everything on a networked external hard drive.

#22     Oct 11, 2012
  3. hughb

hughb

Well, well! I just visited my facebook page and something called ptlhrd had a like from me. I have never even heard of them before. Could they have been behind the attack?

#23     Oct 11, 2012
  4. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Go to another computer:

Download the executables for:

Spybot Search & Destroy
    MalwareBytes
    An Anitvirus program (such as Kaspersky)

Place all three executables on a USB Key.

Boot the infected computer in Safe Mode with networking.

Place the USB key in the computer.
    Install all three programs and get the latest updates via the web.

Unhook the internet

Run all three programs in full scan mode (one after another)

Clean up any problems.

Throw away the USB key or format it clean (it may be infected from your computer)

If this does not work then you must re-install Windows.

#24     Oct 11, 2012