Virus on my laptop

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hughb, Oct 10, 2012.

1. hughb

hughb

Something has hijacked my Tohsiba laptop running Windows 7. The first symptom I noticed was that Windows would not shut down due to explorer.exe still running. (Task bar showed that no programs were running).

When I went to google to search for a solution my search results were hijacked and I was sent to spam sites. So I tried using Yahoo search and the same thing happened.

Microsoft Security Essentials does not find anything when I run a scan.

I recently restored windows to a previous version after a total crash which I assume was caused by the virus. Also, my laptop is blowing the fan constantly when running Explorer.

If MSE can't find it, how can I get to it?

2. fhl

fhl

Maybe malwarebytes av program can do it. Possibly need to run it in safe mode.

The more powerful stuff like combofix needs tech support people to help, i think.

3. hughb

hughb

OK, I'll try to find malware bites, but I can't use any search engine to do it.

I'm seriously screwed here. I can't even use a hard drive wiper on it. It won't start the process.

4. fhl

fhl

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

you might also try starting in safe mode, then using msconfig to disable everything. then restart in safe mode with networking and search.

6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

7. hughb

hughb

Thanks for the malwarebytes download. I ran it, but it didn't detect the threat either.

However, just a few minutes ago my MSE program said it detected a threat named Alureon.FV and quarantined it. I told it to remove it and sure enough it worked, Google is working now.

So it missed it during a scan, but detected it later. Not really sure what's up with that.

ET was the first place I came to for help, thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it. I've become over-dependant on my computer, (16 years ago I didn't even own one), so I feel lost when it's not working. Having a good group of people to reach out to really helps.

8. hughb

hughb

BTW, it's running much faster now and the blower isn't going as hard either.

9. hughb

hughb

FUCK! Now it's back. It's acting differently. I get my google results now, but when I click on the result I an redirected to another site. WTF is going on here?!?!

10. #10     Oct 10, 2012