Virus help???

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by spinn, Jan 3, 2010.

1. BOB Will system restore save your documents?

#11     Jan 4, 2010
  2. spinn

spinn

luckily I have very few documents on this computer, i just dont write many, mostly just a resume. I do have a lot of data files for trading though.

Can anything go wrong with system stem restore; I obviously dont know much about windows etc.

I wont lose any programs correct? Id rather not re install everything.

#12     Jan 4, 2010
  3. I tried to restore my system this weekend but dates didn't go back far enough to do me any good. Couldn't find out how to do it till it was too late.

#13     Jan 4, 2010
  4. what antivirus were you running? Anything that pops up and says that someone is trying to steal your CC # is probably the problem. Hope you didn't click on that link.

Just pay for a decent AV software and turn on pop-up blocker. Don't go to sites you don't know or trust. Plain & simple...

#14     Jan 4, 2010
  5. spinn

spinn

windows defender....I was looking for info on Pat White, the Miami qb who got hurt, it was a news site.

#15     Jan 4, 2010
  6. There are some viruses, check google, that hide in system restore, so IMO that's no good. Reformat and clone HD with Acronis so it's a quick and complete restore. Kapersky and NOD 32 are 2 of the best paid for AV's.

Thanks for reminding me why I am learning linux. None of this crap.

#16     Jan 4, 2010
  7. IMO you get what you pay for. Keep your trading computer seperate from your Internet/Chat computers and you will be fine. I don't even have IE on my trading computer, just remote desktop and an OS. My Internet/chat computers are nice and slow with antivirus, etc. but if I lose one it doesn't matter.

You can pick up internet surfing boxes for cheap... like $50 cheap

#17     Jan 4, 2010
  8. i4i

i4i

The best way to catch trojans and keyloggers is by installing a sniffer like ethereal (free) or Iris (one of the best but expensive) and monitor the traffic for any backdoor connections. Otherwise, you'll just need to reformat your hard drive.

Be that as it may, I encourage you to download and use a "sandbox" apps, which allows you to restore your computer back to its original configuration upon reboot. To learn more about sandbox that's currently available in Windows 7, check out this blog entry:

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20081104/sandbox-users-with-windows-7-pc-safeguard/

#18     Jan 4, 2010
  9. You might occasionally press ctrl-alt-delete / task manager. Become familiar with the processes that normally run on your computer. If you notice something new then Google the file name. You might find a reference to a virus, or to a program that you want to use.

#19     Jan 5, 2010
  10. Remeber to run your antivirus and spyware scans in safe mode and then regular. Also try panda actice online scan - it's free and works well.

#20     Jan 6, 2010