Virus help???

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by spinn, Jan 3, 2010.

1. spinn

spinn

I was on a site to get an update on that football player who got hurt.

I got all sorts of weird boxes as my anti virus software caught it. I think it stopped it in time but one box said there was a virus looking for credit card numbers.

My scans since then havent found anything but how can I ensure that my computer is clean or does not have a key logger installed. I dont save cc numbers anwhere on my pc but am now worried about entering them, ever.

any advice?

2. dcvtss

dcvtss

3. Lots of nasty stuff going around the web these days. Anti-virus isn't enough, you need a program dedicated to finding and removing spyware/malware, such as Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It's free and effective.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

4. spinn

spinn

Thanks will that malware program check for key loggers?...those scare me.

5. Bob111

Bob111

format c.
    seriously

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx

free avg, avira antivir,S&D.
    but sometimes they all useless. software firewall can help identify the virus,when it will try to send info FROM your PC. but knowledge of all services and processes running on your PC are required.
    first thing that i would do(assuming you using XP)-open up task manager and go thru each process and google it.

6. Banjo

Banjo

7. spinn

spinn

8. an av program may identify but not remove a 'virus', but if you can obtain
    the name of the 'virus', google the name and often there's one thread that
    has removal instructions, sometimes a free software specific removal tool

9. spinn

spinn

thanks guys, the computer seems ok but it did restart after the virus scan....

I really wish there was a key logger blocker I could use with vista, or something that stops info from going out.

10. Bob111

Bob111

:p

try system restore. and backup whole PC periodically using something like acronis.

#10     Jan 4, 2010