Virus Found /AntiVirus Help Needed

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by slowtrend, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Phreedm

Phreedm

Not to sound paranoid, but RAV is offering to scan ones hard drive for viruses through an online connection.
    Wouldn't this allow all of ones data to be explored? Something about willingly giving "anyone" access to my information doesn't sit well.

#11     Feb 7, 2004
  2. tuna

tuna

Picked up 3 here too that Norton did'nt know about,all 3 email file related....

RE My tech support skills are on the low end.
    Don't forget with Spybot and ad-aware to run the "check for updates" before you scan

Thanks for the link!

#12     Feb 7, 2004
  3. pspr

pspr

Rav Antivirus seems to be just a little over zealous at calling a file virus infected or suspicious. I ran it on my files and it listed some stuff with this or that problem that I'm pretty sure do not need my attention. Also, when I later checked the 'repair' box then told it to re-check the files it did nothing. Several other AV software that I trust find no problem with the files. Go figure.

On another note, Symantic products do sometimes mess things up a little on some computers. Many years ago, when they came out with the very first defrag program anywhere, I was all excited to show a good friend, who had helped me out many times, this new way to speed up his hard drive. So he reluctantly allowed me to run this new Norton Speed Disk program on his main computer (a fancy new $10K laptop). After Speed Disk finished, his computer couldn't read ANY file on the hard drive. The files and data were toast! All he could do was reformat the drive and re-install the OS and all his software. All his data was lost.

I tucked my tail between my legs, begged forgiveness and crawled back to my office.

Thank you, Peter Norton, for ruining that day of my life.

#13     Feb 7, 2004
  4. balda

balda

on first scan it found one virus which I couldn't manually locate so I did second scan of that file no virus has been found:confused:

#14     Feb 7, 2004
  5. Boomer

Boomer

i have downloaded a free version of spybot from downloads.com. it works great at deleting all the adware, and it also immunizes your computer from that program. check it out...

#15     Feb 7, 2004
  6. bro59

bro59

Ditto on Spybot. Use it regularly, and its good insurance.

#16     Feb 14, 2004
  7. gaj

gaj

also, don't forget to back up your registry if you take anything out; export the registry, and make sure it's the entire registry, not just HCKY_LOCAL or something like that.

i had norton 2002 security, and was going to subscribe - seemed good - until they had the verisign problem with updating...

most of the viruses you can receive are via email, and get into your system via outlook. if possible, i'd suggest getting a unix account somewhere for $10 a month or something. though unix can be intimidating, there's only several commands you need to know, and none of the viruses that are common (or remotely common) go after the unix system.

also, if you have a firewall (strongly recommended), you may as well go to blackholes.us and go through the text area, and add all cable modem banks to your 'refused' connection. there are so many infected cable modem pcs that are probing / attacking other machines that it's insane.

#17     Feb 14, 2004
  8. kernan

kernan

#18     Feb 14, 2004
  9. traderob

traderob

Kerna,
    Thanks for this! I tried it on my 2 computers- both of which have NOrton - and it found a handful of virus on both. Not only that: while it was running Norton found a couple, so it seems to have jump started Symantec at the same time.

#19     Feb 14, 2004
  10. kernan

kernan

I don't have any virus software loaded, and run TrendMicro weekly. I have had no problems - knock on wood. I am very careful about emails/attachments, and usually delete anything from people I do not know.

I do run ZoneAlarm and recommend it if you are always connected to the internet.

#20     Feb 14, 2004