Virtual Risk Free Spread

Discussion in 'Options' started by jones247, Jan 28, 2008.

1. MTE

MTE

Well, at 36 or 34 the loss is still 190, so it's not like you got a point loss at 35 and profit everywhere else. As I mentioned earlier, slippage is a major factor on so many legs so it's a big question as to the superiority of this over a simple straddle/strangle.

#21     Jan 29, 2008
  2. You may be right faith, as that is the sentiment of MTE & Neophytenate... I think...

The downside of strangles or straddles is the cost of such trades; whereas, the downside of this system is the potential for expiration on a specific strike price.... It's a matter of probabilities and initial outlay when comparing the two IMHO...

Walt

#22     Jan 29, 2008
  3. I'm not sure how you calculated the 190 loss at 36 or 34. You may be right... KISS (Keep It Short & Simple). What are your thoughts about Maverick's thread referenced by bigbiscuit?

Walt

#23     Jan 29, 2008
  4. I know you separated it out so it looks like a fly and two ratios, but let's massage it a little.

Your ratios include a box, so they're equivalent to:

Iron out that flutterby.

Add them back together.

That's your position in three legs. Probably easier to visualize it now, too. It's a 32-35 vert and a 30-35 strangle. You can further synthesize it to a 30-32 vert and a 35 straddle, if it makes you feel better.

#24     Jan 29, 2008
  5. I'm sorry commiebat, but I simply don't perceive the equivalency. I must be slow I guess... It seems to me that combining a bear call spread with a strangle would in effect nullify each other. If the underlying asset goes down, then this strategy profits; however, if the underlying asset goes up, it seems that this strategy would lose money.

Walt

#25     Jan 29, 2008
  6. Commie is correct. I got there by eliminating a conversion and reversal from the spread. One reversal left + the 30C=the 30P.

#26     Jan 29, 2008
  7. Oops conversion + reversal = box. Listen to commiebat:D

Thanks OP - good thread.

#27     Jan 29, 2008
  8. Reading the text of the person who started this thread, it seems to me that what he has in mind can rather be implemented by:

1. Selling a straddle.
    2. Buying more strangles than staddles (for instance 2 strangles for each straddle).

The profile at expiration should look like letter W. I suggested this to a fellow few days ago, who wanted to hedge his theta.
    I do not recall the link, but it is somewhat there.

I would have built this in another way. Way before earning, I would have bought some of all of the strangles. Then on the day before earning, I would sell the straddle when vol should be high.

Now on the day before earning, vol should be at its highest,
    and the position can be alternatively viewed as

1. Selling volalitily ATM, and buying vol OTM (one of the two strangles). This is typically the opposite of what people do to play earnings. But they lose when stock does not move.
    2. The remainging net strangle position is essentially a hedge against the move (which is negative for position in point 1).

I would not use this for earnings. I would rather use it for a stock
    when I know it might move (FDA, etc), but while waiting, I will pay for my strangles with the decay in my straddle (hedging theta as I suggested to a fellow who asked about this in the other post).

Good luck though if you have build this position. I rather see you make money than my analysis being right!

#28     Jan 29, 2008
  9. MTE

MTE

I don't have to calculate it, I just look it up on my platform (i.e. analysis tool). 190 is assuming you pay 40 for the whole thing, as I mentioned intially.

It has been said numerous times already, but I'll say it again, you are overcomplicating things, use KISS.

#29     Jan 29, 2008
  10. The "box" I took out was simply a 32.5-35 bull vertical spread (short 35P, long 32P) and a 32.5-35 bear vertical spread (short 32.5C, long 35C). It should be pretty intuitive that those two positions cancel out, because they are the exact same play in opposite directions. It's more straightforward if you realize that a call vert and a put vert are equivalent. So, instead of those four options (one contract of each), you can equivalently hold no position.

The butterfly became an iron butterfly, which is another call vert/put vert equivalence.

After that, I took the "ratio" (leftover) part of each ratio spread and simply added it to the iron fly and wrote down the total position.

Equivalence is like anything else involving math. It doesn't matter what steps you take to get to the end, as long as each step is correct. If you think in terms of conversions and reversals, you can use those. I tend to think in terms of vertical spreads.

#30     Jan 29, 2008