Violent Crime Rising Sharply in Some Cities

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Pabst

Pabst

Well sure. Communities that see a huge uptick in Latino's are going to see an uptick in crime. While Blacks are about 3-4x more violent per capita than Latino's, Latino's are about 4x more violent than whites. Of course Latino stats are a bit skewed because there's far fewer seniors as a percentage of the Latino population than longer established black and white communities.

In most areas of the U.S., if one excluded hispanics and non-whites from crime stats, American murder rates are about on par with Europe.

#11     Feb 12, 2006
  2. Ricter

Ricter

So if a guy with dark skin immigrates here, is he then 5-10 times more likely to commit a violent crime than a light skinned guy who was born here?

#12     Feb 12, 2006
  3. EC1

EC1

Why would you exclude black and hispanic people? They part of the USA, just as you are.

Europe is not 100% white either, should we exclude non-white people as well when calculating crime rates?

#13     Feb 12, 2006
  4. Pabst

Pabst

Well, Latino's who emigrate to the States are 4x more likely to commit a violent crime than whites. The FBI's data contains no breakdowns of African or Caribbean immigrants.

As anyone who has vacationed or lived in Jamaica, the VI or the Bahamas will tell you, the preponderance of black crime is hardly an American phenomena.

#14     Feb 12, 2006
  5. Pabst

Pabst

Quote from EC1:

Why would you exclude black and hispanic people? They part of the USA, just as you are.

Analysis means looking beyond the face of statistics. Everyone will know the computed value of the Dow to-morrow. I want to know how each stock is effecting the index. Without an overview of the behavior exhibited by it's components an average is meaningless. A baseball manager isn't concerned with a hitters overall batting average. Rather he cares about how a player has fared against a fellow right hander or a particular pitcher. That's why analysis is often precluded by the words in depth.

Europe is not 100% white either, should we exclude non-white people as well when calculating crime rates?

I'm sure you do. When I read the London papers they gleefully point out that the rise in murder is largely the work of minorities.

#15     Feb 12, 2006
  6. EC1

EC1

When dealing with crimerate, how much benefit are you going to extract from knowing that white US is safe, while black and hispanic is not?

What rise in murders? London has been stable for a decade...

#16     Feb 12, 2006
  7. Pabst

Pabst

I know to be on guard when a black walks up unannounced to my car while I'm sitting somewhere.

Grandfather slain in parking lot
    A 63-year-old Aventura man was shot to death in the parking lot of a Hallandale Beach restaurant.

BY JENNIFER LEBOVICHjlebovich@MiamiHerald.com

Albert Avenaim dropped his wife off in front of a Hallandale Beach restaurant Friday night and drove around to the side, looking for parking.
    But the 63-year-old grandfather didn't make it to dinner with friends and family.
    He was shot to death in the parking lot of Padrino's, a Cuban restaurant at 2500 E. Hallandale Beach Blvd.
    Police believe robbery was the motive but won't say whether anything was taken.
    Avenaim, of Aventura, had parked his silver BMW convertible in the lot Friday night when a dark-colored Nissan Altima blocked his car in, police said.
    ''It appears he was confronted as he was getting out of the vehicle,'' said Hallandale Beach police Detective Ron Beukers.
    Avenaim's wife, Joan, had gone inside the Cuban restaurant after seeing a performance of Cirque du Soleil in downtown Miami, police said.
    Avenaim, who ran a successful postage meter and office furniture business for nearly three decades, retired five years ago and moved to South Florida from Kansas.
    ''He was just the kind of person that if you just met him in a grocery store, you would like him,'' said Colleen Avenaim, his sister-in-law. ``I don't think there's one person in the world, except the sick person who did this, who would hurt him.''
    Avenaim, who was born in Egypt, enjoyed spending time with friends and traveling with his wife. He stayed active, golfing, fishing and boating, and in the kitchen he loved to whip up dishes, like phyllo dough stuffed with spinach, from scratch.
    Padrino's was bustling at 8 p.m. Friday, when a man in the parking lot heard gunshots.
    The witness told police he thought the suspect was struggling with the victim, police said. Avenaim was shot twice.
    ''It's just a shocker,'' Colleen Avenaim said. ``Our family is trying not to look at the picture of life without him. We're just trying to get through the next 30 minutes or 10 minutes or five minutes.''
    The suspect got in the Altima and headed west on Diana Drive, a street directly behind the parking lot.
    Police are looking for a black man between 20 and 30 years old, 5-foot-10 to 6 feet tall. The Altima has dark-tinted windows and five-spoked chrome rims.
    Padrino's sits at the corner of a nondescript strip mall, with tall windows lining the front of the eatery.
    A restaurant and doctor's office share the space, with parking in the front and additional spaces around the side and back.
    The din of the busy restaurant kept Padrino's staff from noticing the gunshots, shift supervisor Nicole Khabbaz said Saturday.
    ''We didn't hear anything from outside,'' said Khabbaz, who was working in the restaurant at the time of the shooting.
    Avenaim's family asked anyone who may have heard or seen the crime to contact police.
    ''Every piece of information is part of the big puzzle, and if you could help us in some way, we would be so grateful,'' Colleen Avenaim said.
    ''We would hate for another family to have this person on the loose and do this again,'' she added.
    Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Beukers at the Hallandale Beach Police Department, 954-457-1400, or CrimeStoppers, 954-493-8477.

"This depressed and depressing defeatism is rubbish," responds Mr Dennis. "And to see it is rubbish, you only need to compare London with New York."

The two metropolitan areas have comparable populations of just over seven million. In 1991, while London's crime rate was, by the standards of big international cities, relatively low, New York had the reputation of being the crime capital of the world.

There were more than 2,300 murders a year in New York in 1991 and well over 100,000 street robberies. London, by comparison, had 181 murders and 22,000 street robberies in that year.

Last year, there were 538 homicides in New York. That means the murder rate has decreased by a factor of five over the past 13 years. London's murder rate has not reduced at all over the same period: there were 186 homicides in the capital last year.

More astonishing still is the comparison in the statistics for street robberies. In 2003, the last complete year for which records are available, there were just 24,334 street robberies in New York – while in London, 38,490 people were robbed in the street.

It takes some time for the significance of that statistic to sink in. New York, from having had a rate of street robbery five times that of London a decade ago, now has 14,000 fewer street robberies every year than our capital.

#17     Feb 12, 2006
  8. EC1

EC1

That proves what I have said, that London murder rate is stable (I remember it used to 200 a few years ago).

I would be careful when having to compare soft stats (non-murder) between different countries. You just don't know if crimes are recorded differently. I am not denying anything in that article though.

#18     Feb 12, 2006
  9. Banjo

Banjo

#19     Feb 12, 2006
  10. Pabst

Pabst

I believe I was thinking of shooting deaths having spiked in London a couple of years back.

I'd guess petty property crime is under reported in the States.

#20     Feb 12, 2006