Video Splitter - Multiple Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BCE, Feb 7, 2008.

1. BCE

BCE

Hi, Guys
    Does anyone know if I could use this video splitter to spread the images and project charts across multiple monitors or would it just show the same image on all the monitors? A company that's going out of business has several for $25 :) Thanks.
    http://www.hallresearch.com/page/Home/Products/Video_Splitters_and_Extenders/VGA_Splitters/800

And know the place for the first time
    - T.S. Eliot -

2. mokwit

mokwit

same image on all monitors

3. The splitter will just display the same images across the multiple monitors. You'll need a different (dual, quad, etc.) video card to display different images on the multiple monitors.

4. BCE

BCE

That's what I was afraid of. :) I tried. That would have been nice to run 8 monitors for $25. :) There's no software that would do it? I actually have a Appian Jeronimo Pro Quad card circa 2000 that I paid $1000 for, but it's just for desktops and I'm looking for something for my laptop. The Appian card (BTW they're out of business) has HydraVison software to redistribute the image. I'm sure it wouldn't work with Vista. Baron knows about this as he had one too I think. :)
    - T.S. Eliot -

5. mokwit

mokwit

Appian cards failed at post with P4 motherboards. Workaround is have a mono card set to load first in BIOS and then have the Appian card load second. Drivers for Appian, not for first card.

6. BCE

BCE

It's in a P3 desktop but does work okay. I know there are cards to run multiple monitors off a laptop but they're relatively expensive.
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/home.php

- T.S. Eliot -

7. mokwit

mokwit

There are some external boxes which you put a quad video card inside which connects the notebook via PCI slot. As you nted, not cheap, around $1000 excluding video card.

8. BCE

BCE

Oh, well. :) Thanks for the input.
    - T.S. Eliot -