Video: Great Depression Tent Cities in the US

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Oct 17, 2009.

1. jprad

jprad

Even that's no guarantee. Plenty of fixed-income retirees are struggling and may ultimately have to, if not already, sell their homes due to not being able to keep up with escalating property taxes.

#11     Oct 18, 2009
  2. In my youth, I was very insecure and for good reason. I couldn't even scrape together a down payment until I was 29 and then I bought my first house.

As my pay increase, I started increasing my loan principle payments. Six years later the house was mine. I have never regretted that decision.

#12     Oct 18, 2009
  3. sprstpd

sprstpd

Instead of the government telling us to go out and shop, how about it telling us to save up for when things are bad? Or how about financial survival courses all through the schooling process?

#13     Oct 18, 2009
  4. TGregg

TGregg

Not to most people. From what I can tell, most people live paycheck to paycheck even during boom times. I was working a summer job as an intern in an office, and a couple middle-aged guys were discussing a coworker (this was back in the mid 80s). Something happened and he had a sudden bill for 3 or 4 grand and the middle aged guys were wondering where he'd find the money. I was a college kid paying my own way through school making 5 bucks an hour or so, but I had half that amount socked away to pay for college just from the summer. I couldn't understand how a professional adult with a full time job he's had for years wouldn't have a few grand for emergencies.

Bank of America started a promotion a year or two ago called Keep the Change. It took me forever to figure out WTF anybody would sign up for this thing. Suppose you buy something for $3.43 and pay with your check card. They'll deduct $4.00 from your checking, and deposit 57 cents into your saving account. Of course, they don't explain it like that because when it is clearly worded it sounds pretty damn stupid (mostly because it is pretty damn stupid). But after you read the description several times, this is exactly how it works - it's just an automatic transfer. BFD.

Since I keep all my liquid funds in my savings account and only put money in my checking after I've wrote a check - it never made sense. Then I realized that many people probably put all their money in their checking account because they plan to spend every #@&^ing dime before they get their next paycheck. It's tough to have much sympathy for this sort of financial irresponsibility. Not saying that is the case for everybody in Tent Town, but is probably true for most of `em.

#14     Oct 18, 2009
  5. Here is an idea that I had years ago and my son still reminds of it occasionally.

First do away with the unemployment checks and welfare payments unless the person is disabled.

Then move the unemployed into deactivated military bases and let them live in the barracks with a small stipend each week for necessities.

There they are provided the opportunity to learn a trade and search for employment.

I think it could work and in turn, save the government a lot of money while generating greater incentive for the unemployed to return to the work force.

#15     Oct 18, 2009
  6. wartrace

wartrace

You are an IDIOT hoodooman. There is no polite way to say it, you are clearly not a thinking man. Do you think your son brings up this great idea for any other reason than to remind you of how stupid you are?

I love your idea Hitler- 10% RIF (reduction in force) = OFF TO THE CAMPS! Factory closes?=OFF TO THE CAMPS! Employer goes bankrupt?= OFF TO THE CAMPS!

How are people supposed to look for work near their homes while in the "unemployed internment camp"? What if their spouse is still working, does he/she have to go to the camp as well? Are people interned in the camp only for the 26 weeks they can draw unemployment or are they kept indefinitely? What if their "benefits" run out, are they sent to the "showers"?

If you pulled your head out of your ass you would understand that the economy is losing over 500,000 jobs PER WEEK. People who are losing their jobs are not doing it by choice. People are not "on vacation", there are too few jobs for the available workforce.

I want to commend you for posting the most idiotic post I have EVER seen on ET.

#16     Oct 18, 2009
  7. lool :D

#17     Oct 18, 2009
  8. And how long have you been on welfare. lmao@u.

#18     Oct 18, 2009
  9. wartrace

wartrace

How long have you been an idiot? Do you really believe your plan would do ANYTHING to reduce unemployment? Pull your head out of your ass & maybe you will get more oxygen to your brain.

#19     Oct 18, 2009