Video Graphics Card help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ziradee, Feb 16, 2009.

1. ziradee

ziradee

What would you recommend to run up to 4 24" monitors at max resolution and be able to play HD movies at full screen without breaking the bank?

My Motherboard has 2 PCI-E slots I believe.

Thanks!

2. ehorn

ehorn

3. ziradee

ziradee

Thanks for your reply.

Looks like that might be overkill for me as I'm not driving 4 30" monitors, just 24".
    I was also trying not to spend 450-500.

4. All depends on operating system, available slots, memory, etc. vista or xp?
    Do you want to keep current card? what is it?

You want to see a movie across all 4 screens or only 1? what's their native resolution?

5. ziradee

ziradee

Two available PCI-E slots and 2 Available PCI slots.

Vista 32 (or 7)

4GB (3GB usable) RAM

6. Do you want to keep current card? what is it?

You want to see a movie across all 4 screens or only 1? what's their native resolution?

7. ziradee

ziradee

I'm going to trash the current card as it's not a dual DVI. The monitors native resolution are 1920x1200.

Regarding expanding the picture across all monitors - sounds tempting - but not really necessary.

8. If it were XP, it'd be cheap and simple to put together.
    The thing that makes me nervous with video cards for Vista is that it's hard to "mix 'n match" using different video cards.

So, the good thing is you only want video on 1 monitor. You want inexpensive and you have 2 slots of each type.

My answer would be to use 2 inexpensive pci-e cards side by side. The ones I use usually have 1 analog & 1 DVI port (cheaper). But for Vista, they *should* be exactly the same cards or at least use the *same* driver.

Do you need 2 dvi ports per card?

9. ziradee

ziradee

Ideally yes. I do realize that will slightly increase my cost factor but the DVI seems to look much better than VGA when tested with my current card which has one of each.

10. Mup

Mup

The Card software can be equally important...??

In the Past we've had issues with both ATI (fire) & Nvida (Quatro)with certain Quote/Charting/Broker software packages..
    Maybe also check with your Quote/charting/Broker providers to see which they recommend???

#10     Feb 16, 2009