video cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alphahunter, Apr 21, 2020.

1. I am upgrading my setup to have multiple computers to split some of the load which is causing delays in my computer occasionally.

I was wondering how good of a video card is necessary for my new trading system. Currently I am using a GeForce RTX 2060 super (which I am keeping in my old computer- still being used for trading as well).

I am getting many delays looks mostly to be an effect of max CPU use but I didn't know if graphics is likely a contributing factor and all the IB booktraders, multiple views in TWS are contributing a require a really good card.

Thanks

2. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

Onboard graphics (i.e. the built-in GPU of the motherboard) usually supports dual monitors. If you need more than 2 screens then you probably need to add a discrete graphics card. Onboard graphics is a good option because it doesn't require additional cooling and power. It also doesn't make any noise.

If you need the computer just for trading and regular PC use then I'd get a card that does exactly what I need it to and no more. What you decide to put inside your PC will determine other things like the chassis, size, cooling and power etc which affects the overall cost.

When choosing a card or motherboard look for ones with HDMI and display ports. DVI and VGA are becoming obsolete.

If you have high CPU use, then you should try to troubleshoot exactly what is causing it. It could be an issue with a driver, a system process, a corrupt application process or simply a web page with poor scripting in Google Chrome. It could even be a program that's operating normally but requires a more powerful CPU and more memory etc.

3. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

To find out whats causing the high CPU usage, look in Task Manager - Processes and click on the header CPU to change the order to ascending/descending.

4. thanks, I am currently using most of my CPU and memory and GPU on IB and Excel alone.
    My current computer is only 3 months old and I don't use it for anything but trading- not even web browsing, I doubt it is corrupted with spywear/other crap etc.

Currently I do use a lot of resources from IB (probably much more that most people on here, and I run several complex excel sheets with formatting and macros with plugged in API to get live feeds). I use a lot of booktraders (fast moving graphic ladder trading tools).

I understand beyond basics of on paper what is necessary. However I do occasional get spikes to near 100% on CPU and GPU currently when my system lags. Currently I have 2 1440 32" monitors, have bought 2 more (4 total) but didn't want to burden my system further- I have already uninstalled Bloomberg and its plugins.

My current computer is a i7-9700F with a RTX 2060 Super 8GB (should already be overkill, but having issues with lag graphically and on the cpu level). Currently have 16GB and loading off a SSD. Internet consistently runs at 100mbps+, cant get performance any better...

I was going to get a new system either 9900f or AMD 3950X, double ram to 32 (or maybe 64 it worth it for me to just spend an extra thousand and not stress that the ram is a bottleneck)- however the guy I'm using to build it (I have to time for building these days) only stocks 1660 GTX or equivalent cards, should this really be adequate ?

5. lovethetrade is correct... you should have more than enough horsepower, but you've got software issues. The actual graphics requirements for a trading rig are low.

I run 4x UHD monitors in my trading rig with charts, quotes, trading platform, other stuff.. and my GPU uses only 0-4%, and ~1.2G of VRAM. My CPU typically runs 8-12%... yours could be higher depending upon software, but should NOT routinely be pegging 100%.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    lovethetrade likes this.
  6. xandman

xandman

Are you running conditional formatting and real time graphs on excel?

lovethetrade likes this.
  7. No, but my experience has been that when the CPU is pegging, it's "struggling" with a software issue. As conditional formatting is a feature in Excel, it should be loaded into RAM and run from there, minimizing CPU use in normal function.

Whether OP has a software issue or genuinely needs more horsepower, the answer likely revealed in the Task Manager.

Sounds to me that OP has a case of "information overload", which can easily lead to "analysis paralysis".... whereas trading is best done KISS. But each to his own.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  8. ZBZB

ZBZB

Have you changed the parameter that allocates more memory to IB TWS.

9. Yes I am running excel sheets with some Conditional Formatting- I have done this previously (as a professional trader for many years) and understand conditional formatting may be quite some of the burden and am using it more sparingly that I have it the past.

Is there a way to change the way excel allocates the CF onto RAM, or is this just the way it always works? Any other tips to increase performance ?

10. ZBZB-
    What do you set the IB ram to? could I set it to whatever I please? Although I do think the issues is coming more from Excel than IB at this point.

#10     Apr 23, 2020