Video Cards..help wanted

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CoralReef, Mar 26, 2005.

1. I found a eVGA-e 7600 GT KO for 160.00$ from reviews and researching i have found this to be a very good video card. I also found a eVGA-e 7900 GS for 190.00$. the place that is selling them says that these aren't even at most retailers yet theyare a new card. They are gonna be 270$ retail when they come out. These are the top of the line cards so i should get alot of frames per second.

#31     Aug 25, 2006
  2. What's the technical difference between PCI and PCIe?

How about the performace?

#32     Aug 26, 2006
  3. I'm not exactly sure about the differences in the physical makeup of the two but i know that pci is dead they are very slow. Agp became the standard video card youll be lucky to find a pci. pci-e is going to be the new computer standard and will be better than AGP and alot better than pci. if you have a pci-e slot on your motherboard get one. most of the high end video cards are pci-e and you will find that pci will disappear all together in the next couple of years.

#33     Aug 26, 2006
  4. does anyone know any good dual DVI PCI cards?

#34     Aug 26, 2006
  5. Does anyone know how many framespersecond a 7600GT KO will get for F.E.A.R. witha a pentium 4 3Ghz and a 1gb of memory. Does anyone know what will get at least 50 framespersecond
    with F.E.A.R. on my setup

#35     Aug 27, 2006
  6. How Does a 7800 GT compare to a 7600 GT KO in terms of performance to price ratio. i can get the 7600 for 140$ and a 7900 GS f0r 195$. Is it Worth the extra 60$ to get it.
    which one will get more frames per second for F.E.A.R.

#36     Aug 27, 2006
  7. gaj

gaj

your computer's manual will tell you whether you have agp or pci-e slots. i just bought a new computer, and had to buy a new dual card because my old one was agp.

old one was a nvidia, new one is (i believe) a visteon. never had problems with either.

a few years ago, i know that computers with intel chips had some problems with dual monitor, and i've only had amd chips for the past 5 (?) years...

#37     Aug 27, 2006
  8. gnome

gnome

Amazing... ALMOST EVERYTHING you said in this post is wrong.

#38     Aug 27, 2006
  9. so you think my post is wrong. Then how come almost the entire GeForce 7 series is PCI-Express hmmm.The last one they made was the 7800GS. It will probably be one of the last AGp cards. They don't even make pci video cards anymore. also alot of the new motherboards have a pci-e slot instead of a AGP. The pci-e has 16 lanes and Agp only goes up to 8xso they get twice the bandwidth. allthough the pci-e and agp have pretty much the same performance the you can notice the difference in the high end pci-e cards. it would be wise to update to a pci-e.

#39     Aug 27, 2006
  10. gnome

gnome

1. PCI is not "dead". There are a gazillion PCI cards still in the market place + nearly all peripheral cards being made are still PCI. PCI will be around at least until WinXP is no longer supported... maybe 2014. PCI won't be "dead" until makers have PCIE x1 or x4 in video cards, PCIE in modems, controllers, TV tuners, PVRs, etc.... AND mobo makers no longer include PCI slots. The transition to PCIE will be long.

2. PCI is not "very slow". It's just fine for everything except high powered games.

3. "Lucky" to find a PCI card? They're everywhere. Sheesh.

4. "PCI will disappear altogether in next couple of years". No way, Jose.

OK, I overshot a bit when I said "nearly everything you said was wrong"... it was only about 75% wrong. PCIE IS the new thing, but card markers have not embraced it for anything except high powered gaming.

Anyone who wants to have a multi-monitor display system for trading can find all the cards he wants with ease.... PCI cards.

#40     Aug 28, 2006