Video Card Surprise... NVS 310 Does UHD Resolution

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scataphagos, Apr 19, 2019.

1. I'm doing a liesurly upgrade(?) from W7 to W10. Not all of my displays require UHD res (3840x2160), so I checked out how a UHD monitor would display 1920x1080 on an NVS 310 video card. Well, to my surprise it displayed 3840x2160* just fine as well as 1920x1080 on W7 OS. (Its spec states the max res is 2560x1600).

So... if you're looking for quality, low cost video cards to run UHD monitors in a trading environment... NVS 310 is a good choice. (I've used them for years on W7 rigs. My last buy was for $4.99, used, on eBay.)

*I used a "certified, v1.4 DP cable". Likely you'll need that for UHD res. If you use DVI-DP adapter, max res is 1920x1200.

FWIW...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    apdxyk and heispark like this.
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

This is my personal preferred resolution for trading software. You get the extra lines below but everything does not get too small like the higher resolutions.

3. That's what I use on most of my stuff, too (1920x1200). For charting, one can usually increase the font size as necessary for text and still have the greater data display of higher res.

4. heispark

heispark

IMHO, to use UHD effectively, the physical size of the monitor should also be bigger (+42 inch preferable)......

5. easymon1

easymon1

6. Addendum....

When the NVS 310 hit the market, the max monitor res was 2560x1600, which the NVS displayed and was spec'd as its "max digital res". Since, we now have UHD @ 3840X2160. Turns out, the NVS 310 also displays UHD just fine. Not only that, it's "easy on the VRAM". My 512MB 310 video cards utilize only 90MB of VRAM for a UHD display.

I bought an Nvidia P1000 video card to go along with my UHD monitor array (~$350) as I thought something like that would be "necessary" to run 4 monitors in UHD....not knowing I could have had the same display for ~$10 running on 2x, 310 cards.

Anybod want to buy a "barely used" quad-port P1000 video card?

FWIW...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    apdxyk likes this.
  7. apdxyk

apdxyk

Nice of you to share your findings. I have a battery of NVS 510 and besides the tech side advantages, what I like is that this is one of the easiest to maintain cards when it comes to the nefarious fans - very well engineered. Very easy to take apart, clean and put back together.
    Keep your eye on those as well, they can be had new for a quarter of their regular price at times.
    I also have one NVS 810 and never saw it at a significant discount. Not yet. Quadro series, and even relatively modest P1000 are overkill for our needs.

8. You need to take the card apart to clean it out? Can't you just blow some air into it? I blow my computers out twice a year. That's apparently good enough.

9. IamaMars

IamaMars

So what is your display and how it called. As for the prices - it's just another case where all this pricey parts simply do not needed at all. And that's really it. I do not get how much people spend on useless hardware stuff for basically any case in ther life.