Video card recommendations for 6 monitor workstation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmiles301, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Hello all,

My Nvidia NVS420 quad DVI card died on me, so I'm looking for a replacement. My dual DVI card still works but it's a really old card so I'm thinking of replacing that one too while I'm at it.

I have a custom built system, so I think my motherboard has a lot of flexibility with what it can handle, though I can't remember the exact specifics off the top of my head and my computer is in the shop at the moment.

Does anyone with decent experience in this area have a recommendation as to what they would put in the system if they were in my shoes? Another quad + dual card combo? Three dual cards? Any specific ram type, ram size, or memory bus width?

I am assuming that whatever my computer guy advises me on/offers me can be bought at a discount online somewhere, so I'm just trying to do a little bit of research and brainstorm a bit before he makes his recommendation.

I have done a little browsing on Amazon and see that they offer some dual cards for around $40/50, though I think that was a DVI + VGA and I have only used DVI cards in the past. I don't have enough experience/expertise in this area to really know if those cards would be suitable.

I'm trying to save some money if I can, but at the same time I want to make sure that the cards I put in can do the job and are all around reliable. I'm not a gamer, so they don't need to be fancy/high-end per se, I only use my computer for basic stuff + trading.

Thanks so much for your time,

-jm

2. Have you considered 4k monitor(s)? With 2 x 4k will be the same 8x 1080p. If you what to keep expense down and use your existing monitors the nvidia nvs420 is most economical since many are upgrading to 4k.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  3. If your mobo has 3, pcie x16 slots, try NVS 310/315 video cards. Used OK

4. 2rosy

2rosy

i just got a Radeon RX 580. it works for me

5. Is the gaming card capable of running 4 monitors? Newegg is selling it for $239. For trading and office work the nvdia quadro NVS 420 can handle 4 monitors upto 1440p for under $50 bux.

6. 2rosy

2rosy

it can run 6: 1 hdmi, 1 dvi 4 mini display ports
    i didnt do much research before buying the card. it was the cheapest at the top of my google search :)

viruscore1 likes this.
  7. Isn't that a gaming card... ~$250-ish?

viruscore1 likes this.
  8. ~$25 each on eBay

9. I'm looking for business graphics card that handle 2 x 4k monitors, that is the same 8x 1080p. So far I found nvidia NVidia Quadro K2000 for about $80bux refurb. But it's full height, to bad it's not half height ...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  10. Go with a Radeon RX580
    5 slots then just get a Displayport MST Hub to run 2 monitors and you have it.

#10     Sep 11, 2018