Video Card Recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mr_minty, Dec 30, 2003.

1. mr_minty

mr_minty

Can anyone recommend a high end video card that supports DUAL DVI at 1600x 1200 on each monitor and that is great for gaming as well?

I'm currently running 2 Dell 20" 2001fp lcd monitors and an ASUS P4C800-E deluxe mobo..

I had the Matrox P650 but apparently there are compatibility issues with mys ASUS board and Matrox cards.. I really liked that card, but couldn't do much in the way of playing video games :)

I was thinking about getting an ATI radeon 9800 pro card but that only supports a DVI+ VGA setup and I'm not sure if my monitors would be able to work with that setup...

So i ordered an ASUS geforce FX5600 videosuite...it has dual dvi, is comparable to a radeon 9500, but I am not sure if it will support 1600x1200 on both screens...

Can anyone recommend a specific card, or combination of cards that will be able to handle all of this nicely?

Anyway, if anyone has any opinions or advice on the matter, it would be greatly appreciated..THANKS!

2. mr_minty

mr_minty

Thanks for all the responses guys! i'll check them out...although the nvidia card seems to be geared more towards professional graphic users...i just wanna play games and have my futures charts look nice!

plus, it's about 1k over what i was intending on spending at the most on the graphics card :)

should i just get the radeon 9800 pro/xt and run one lcd monitor thru dvi and the other lcd monitor thru analog?

any thoughts on how that would look? would they both have 1600x1200 resolution, but the only difference would be that one is vga?

damn! i'm so confused....

3. I've seen some of those dual ported cards on ebay... hth

4. What kind of retail pricing are you getting? :)

5. mr_minty

mr_minty

best i saw for the nVidia Quadro FX3000 was a tad under 1500 on Ebay...

6. mr_minty

mr_minty

for now, i'm leaning towards the new ASUS Radeon 9800 xt card...I have an ASUS p4c800E deluxe mobo so i figure an ASUS card should be somewhat compatible!

guess i'll try running one lcd thru dvi and the other lcd thru analog...

#10     Jan 1, 2004