Video Card Plan Fails

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OldTrader, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Yeah, they claimed that wouldn't run 4 monitors, that it's actually 1 card with some type of toggle setup. He was kinda vague. LOL.

OldTrader

#21     Feb 5, 2008
  2. gnome

gnome

LOTS of ETers have mentioned the bum info they got from Dell reps about video cards... they really are not trained on the topic.

#22     Feb 5, 2008
  3. Well, if your heart is set on the 290, then fine, but I agree with Gnome that the 64/128mb 285 card is more than adequate for about 1/4 the cost.

#23     Feb 5, 2008
  4. Let's set aside the cost question for a second. This computer came with a 290 x16. So given that, would you recommend getting a 285 to run my other two monitors? If so, would the only factor in your decision be the cost? Thanks for the answer...I'm just trying to learn here.

OldTrader

#24     Feb 5, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

Yes, cost only. The 285 and 290 use the same driver. Only difference is the amount of VRAM.

#25     Feb 6, 2008
  6. Yes, cost is really my consideration here. I don't care what something costs as long as I think I'm getting my money's worth. I just think you are trying to smash a grape with a sledgehammer. The 290 probably generates more heat, I mean look at the size of the heat sink, but is that material, I dunno, I'm not knowledgeable in that area. There is no wrong choice here. Go with whatever makes ya happy.

#26     Feb 6, 2008
  7. Great processor!
    I just got the same in a Dell Vostro-400 refurbished rig from the Dell Business Outlet site.

#27     Feb 6, 2008
  8. I asked an Nvidia tech a couple of weeks ago ( in anticipation of my new rig ) about what I can run in my PCI-slot ( not the Express slots ) that will support a 3rd and 4th monitor on Windows XP, with their Nvidia "Nview" multi-monitor software application.

He pointed me to this $70.00 PCI-Slot card . . . the BFG Technologies GeForce 6200 graphics card with 256 mb of DDR:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143110

The Nvidia tech said it would run on Vista, too and be compatible with other Nvdia driven graphics cards in the PCI-Express slot.

#28     Feb 6, 2008
  9. gnome

gnome

You could also get a NVS 280 PCI for about $30, on eBay.

#29     Feb 6, 2008
  10. The_End

The_End

OldTrader,

I was wondering, did you get those video card and fan noise issues worked out?

I understand your model is different, but I had noticed that for the Precision 490 models in the reviews section, there are several complaints of excessive fan noise. Apparently the 490 has two large fans inside the chassis.

Do you know whether or not if the T3400 has two large fans inside the chassis?

Thanks in advance.

#30     Feb 15, 2008