Video Card help : PCI vs. PCIe x1

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by digdeep, Oct 15, 2008.

1. digdeep

digdeep

Currently running a PCIe x16 dual video card for two monitors, would like to add 2 more monitors. Only have one PCIe x16 slot, should I purchase a PCI or PCIe x1 card; to run two 19" LCD monitors at 1280 x 1024 resolution?

I have onboard video - ATI graphics - looking for ATI video cards to limit the chances of having conflict.

Looking at these PCIe x1 cards - any comments?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...048 1305520549 1069620108&name=PCI Express x1

Thanks

2. gnome

gnome

I don't know how you can tell in advance. I've got one which will run with the x16 + PCI slot, but not with x16 and x1 slot... Elephino...?

3. d08

d08

Search for "DVI-D splitter".

4. gnome

gnome

Pardon? What do you think that will do?

5. digdeep

digdeep

thanks gnome... so aside from the potential compatibility issues - that I won't know until I install the card - would PCIe x1 cards be significantly better than PCI - as far as performance, reliability, less heat; or are all of those issues vid card specific?

thanks

6. gnome

gnome

Performance for trading isn't really an issue. There is plenty of bandwidth with either x1 or PCI.

I always prefer cards without fans...

Suggest you get another card from the same manufacturer as your x16 card... less chance for video card driver conflict.

7. digdeep

digdeep

Will do - thanks for highlighting the driver issue - I wasn't aware that I might run into that problem.

8. JCVR

JCVR