video card alternative?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by glenjohnson, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Could somebody hook up two different computers between each other and share the same internet connection to avoid installing another video card in the main computer? Have two monitors, two computers? How would one go about doing that? I have a computer and monitor with Windows 3.0 in it and just thought of it.

I did see some good deals on ebay for quad video cards. So this is just an idea and wondering if it can be done.

2. Windows 3.0???:eek:

3. LOL. Yes. 3.0. It's just sitting here collecting dust, so I thought I would put it to use. I don't know what else to do with it besides connect two computers with it. If it can be done.

I'm not sure a router can configure with Windows 3.0 since it is so old. The main computer is only 1 years old. XP.

4. gnome

gnome

It would be sooooo much easier just to install an additional card....

5. I just installed a new dual card. The Nividia GEforce FX5200. 60.00 brand new from Comp USA. It turned off my main video connector and only lets me have the two from the new card. So I have two. If I would have bought a single additional card, I wonder if the new card would have turned off the old card and then I would have only one monitor?

Is there a way to get that first video card working again so I can have three monitors instead of two. The first card is connected to the mother board and came with the computer.

6. gnome

gnome

Maybe. Go into your BIOS and try the various video alternatives. It could be that the video card disabled the onboard video and all you have to do is turn it back on.

You might have to try various choices in the BIOS for "primary" video.

Next time you buy a computer for trading with 3 or more monitors, avoid onboard video. Sometimes it works out OK, sometimes not.