Victor Niederhoffer's History

Discussion in 'Trading' started by winarto_t, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Maverick1

Maverick1

wow i didnt know he had only $10m 5 years ago... in that case there are almost zero odds he could have a net positive P&L over the course of his career.

Don't know why marketsurfer keeps saying that VN 'returned more to his investors than he lost' mantra over and over again, the numbers just don't suggest that at all...

#11     Oct 11, 2007
  2. The story I hear is he got crushed by being short puts into 8/07, is that right?

#12     Oct 11, 2007
  3. stepan7

stepan7

4. Nattdog

Nattdog

nothing at all factual is going to come out here, but my thought is yes by a hefty margin if viewed over a career. He has been trading for a long time, long before 1997 or 2007. he never built a mega fee machine fund, but maintained a capital base where he could generate the high returns and return capital. he had over 30% return for quite a few years. I would not be suprised if he had generated over 1B in profit in his career, with a few low 9 figure setbacks. and, it sounds like he is still trading, and not with an inconsequential account size. Likely has at least a few more 100 million to make in his career.

#14     Oct 12, 2007
  5. jpatet

jpatet

#15     Oct 13, 2007
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

Well, we don't know his record from his days working for Soros.

But still, using an excuse that "he made more than he lost" is like a pilot's excuse who just bombed the wrong city accidentally and saying: "hey, I killed more enemy than innocent people!"

#16     Oct 13, 2007