Viacom sues Google for $1 billion

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by JayS, Mar 13, 2007.

1. you people act like this suit has already played itself out. these things take years. meanwhile they negotiate and come to terms. if viacom wants to fight it i am sure they will get a good battle. it will cost them millions and 4 yrs from now youtube will be just one of many web 2.0 video sites.

#31     Mar 13, 2007
  2. How many more Viacoms are there?

This is a shot across the bow.

Do you think Viacom is filing a frivolous lawsuit?

Wake up.

#32     Mar 13, 2007
  3. Google has enough cash to keep this hung up in court indefinitely. Coupled with the law that states the users are responsible for content they upload, they are pretty damn safe IMO.

#33     Mar 13, 2007
  4. google/youtube has in place a way to handle copyright issues. once they are contacted they remove videos immediately. as baron pointed out the user that uploads the material is the responsible party.

viacom can not show any complicity issues with google/youtube. youtube is not the only player anymore.. there are thousands of youtubes now. there will be a million one day. viacom... have fun going after the whole country.

we need a class action anti trust lawsuit against these oligarchs. 6 media giants try to control everything. we need to take them down for their consistent frauds against the american people. viacom is just trying to get control of the new internet media.. and they are going to fail.

#34     Mar 13, 2007

5. ok.. this makes 5 smart people on this thread now.

#35     Mar 13, 2007
  6. That is true about other similar sites because some are already emerging.

#36     Mar 13, 2007
  7. LOL, I'm 100% with on this one.

The think that because they have so much money and power they can manipulate anyone and anything to their way of thinking (believe me, I would know ... :p ).

JJ

#37     Mar 13, 2007
  8. Google is responsible for copyright violations perpetrated on its website, that it hosts, maintains, and is charged with policing.

Google can't claim the "Kazaa" defense. That dog doesn't hunt.

This isn't about whether you want to see Viacom be able to control distribution, or any other media company for that matter - it's about copyright law.

Like I said, Google will fail using the Kazaa "we can't control our users" defense.

#38     Mar 13, 2007
  9. blast19

blast19

You're a moron. Your problem is with the media conglomerates that are trying to protect their product from copyright infringement? You are truly a moron...there is no hesitation in saying that.

#39     Mar 13, 2007
  10. GOOG has a tendency to do things that sound "cool" and add nothing to the bottomline.

#40     Mar 13, 2007