Viacom sues Google for $1 billion

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by JayS, Mar 13, 2007.

1. JayS

JayS

2. blast19

blast19

It's about freaking time...I can't believe that Google bought YouTube...the whole value of that sight was built on the illegal use of copyrighted material...maybe 10% of the value is built on user created videos...maybe.

I'm smiling from ear to ear because I just can't believe how stupid Google was when they bought it.

3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

That suit will never fly. Google will prevail only because the United States Congress already passed legislation about all this back in 1996, which said that users of an interactive service are solely responsible for what they post, not the service itself. And I would argue that there are more than enough user-generated videos on YouTube to demonstrate that the site's primary intent is not to distribute pirated content.

4. blast19

blast19

You think? I think they're going to have a hard time proving that if they subpoena records regarding what is watched. The problem is that this is an independent suit....there should be a media wide suit for more money.

I often watch clearly copyright videos from Europe that I shouldn't be able to watch...Google bought YouTube full well knkowing that the value was in the copyrighted videos that users upload.

Are you an attorney? I'm not but I'd be interested to know what some attorneys familiar with media usage laws in detail would say about this.

5. Golly Barron, hope you have a stop on that trade...

:D

6. yonglee

yonglee

I am a big fan of Youtube as many people in this country. Media conglomerate Viacom just wants to advertise its company by filing $1 billion lawsuit against Google Inc.

7. blast19

blast19

I'm a fan of it too...but this lawsuit is based on such legitimate ground that what you said practically makes no sense.

Distributing copyrighted material without crediting the source, offering it for free, etc. is pretty much a slap in the face of logic.

I'd love to see a bandwagon of similar suits actually.

8. yonglee

yonglee

Quote from Baron:

That suit will never fly. Google will prevail only because the United States Congress already passed legislation about all this back in 1996, which said that users of an interactive service are solely responsible for what they post, not the service itself. And I would argue that there are more than enough user-generated videos on YouTube to demonstrate that the site's primary intent is not to distribute pirated content.

Why would you file a lawsuit if you already know you will lose?

Think about it if they really want to fight with google.
    Have a nice day.

9. blast19

blast19

LMAO...that's some legal advice you have there. :p

10. yonglee

yonglee

You got it. :D

#10     Mar 13, 2007