(Very) old historic intraday data ?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Currywurst, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Hi,

Does anyone know about (free?) resources which provide hourly intraday data or charts of the 90s, 80s, 70s, ... ?

I don't need a complete data set. I just would like to know how the charts looked like back then. I wonder if the market reacted the same.

Thanks.

2. most people here pay for intraday-data starting in the 90's
    or even early 00 what you are looking for is unlikely
    to recieve for free you will have more luck if you would
    be saticfied with daily data

3. for which instrument do you need data

4. I know, a full data set for free is very unlikely.

I'd be happy with a few example charts. Hourly chart of a week for example.

I'm looking for Forex, DAX and DJ.

5. You're going to be sol. It's difficult to even pay for intraday data that far back and for OTC currency data fuggedabowdit.

I've been around for more years than I'd like to admit so I can testify that by and large the moves on a percentage basis are pretty similar except for one MAJOR regard. Open outcry mitigated the volatility from stops better than electronic order matching systems. A move like ZB's 5 point rally on the Fed announcement the week before last probably would not have occurred when there was an active Bond pit.

6. I'm especially interested in how the market reacted to S/R and trendlines. I'm finally starting to understand which trendlines are "valid" and I wonder if the old markets are similar.

Of course, I can't get the real-time "feeling" - but it's still interesting.

7. Technicals like trendlines worked better back then. Think about the dissemination of news in 1979 vs. today. Now every participant equally knows in real time an array of fundamental information. In the "old days" it was much more all about charts.