Very hard time taking loss:(

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ksonsinc, Feb 3, 2006.

1. been trading for almost a year now, 9 months to be exactly, i'm expecting i might even have to go for a nighttime job to support my trading career, but it is no big deal, i just love trading and will do it for as long as i live. Just want to gain more and more experience.

It's been an amazing ride though, I can't imagine 9 months ago, still trying to rely on MACD only with ameritrade trading those penny stocks which a trading "group" promised they'd help me, and pretty much they all lost their money, i'm lucky *ironic?* that I didn't participate all that much, but I did take a beating and I was stupid enough to believe them. All they really did was pump up stocks on chat forums, I didn't like the group and didn't believe it was real trading, so I left. Found this forum, and everything has changed since then.

Been one wild ride. Only going to get more and more interesting with experience.

#51     Feb 20, 2006
  2. Well, that makes no sense. What do you want him to do, Ripley, trade 1 share at a time? He said he was only trading 100 to 150 shares. At some point even if you're right, it makes no sense to trade if you don't get a return; and even if he has a winning edge, taking a stop loss is the most important rule in his bag. Not adhering to stop loss rules will eventually catch up with you regardless of the edge you have.

#52     Feb 20, 2006
  3. kming

kming

I have a similar issue. I constantly find myself giving up mental stops and withdrawing stop loss orders when stocks goes near my stop price. And in most cases I end up paying for the mistake. Now I have a rule that I take 3 breathes and determine where I would like to be stopped out before entering any position. This is hard at times but it does save my account from falling further.

#53     Feb 20, 2006
  4. Well i have to say That stop loss and Overconfidence are 2 things that a person has to be carefull off.
    I would say i have not failed but i have gained 1 step higher to being succesfull trader and more knowledge the next time i start trading. Right now i am taking a brake :) and taking up a job to cover some unexpected expensives
    And when i come back there is no surrender :eek: :cool: :D :

#54     Feb 20, 2006
  5. Why not just put in the stop once you enter the trade. I always have stop as soon as I enter the trade, the key is placing the stop right.

MENTAL stops force you to think more than you should, especially if emotions are controlling your trading.

#55     Feb 20, 2006
  6. ginux

ginux

why is it so hard to take a loss?

just set your stop loss immediately after entering your buy and sleep on it. There. No decisions to make thereafter.

#56     Feb 20, 2006
  7. ginux

ginux

ditto

#57     Feb 20, 2006
  8. kming

kming

Oh, I forgot to mention that I do exactly what you said. After the 3 breathes and the determination of a stop price I put that in and do not second guess that decision.

This has been very helpful.

The other big stupid mistake in my early trading has been overtrading. I put on 20 ER2 contracts with only 50k in equity and lost 20% in one day. Only later I realized that I am playing with 30x leverage! Since then I've been much more disciplined. As many say, you can only learn discipline through significant real money losses. I realized that I should indeed be trading 1 contract rather than 20!

#58     Feb 20, 2006
  9. WOh 20 contract that must be something ER2
    Well it is true u dont realize the value of $ unless u trade with real money.
    Demo are all bullshit just to get use to the system but when u are with real money u will know the risk and reward
    And it is better to take $35 loss then to take $150 loss
    Cause i have seen there is always a good trade waiting for you :)

#59     Feb 20, 2006
  10. ginux

ginux

wtf! 20% drop in 1 day. DUDE. you're either not diversifying enough or are carrying too much leverage

#60     Feb 20, 2006