Vertical Spreads for Aggressive Growth

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Cache Landing, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Bummer. wait for it to bottom out and I think we'll see a breakout in the next week or so.

#1321     Dec 12, 2006
  2. Any close below 20.00 and I think AMD is headed to 16.00 in a hurry. SOX headed down to 460 for a bit. If it doesn't find support there then AMD doesn't have a chance.

#1322     Dec 13, 2006
  3. Hi guys,

If you don't mind I'll try to make some contribution. Have been reading these threads and learned alot from all of you. I need to thank you all more than you know. It's really helped me. I've traded options at different times for the past 10 years, with periods of great success and then periods where I gave it all back. I've been dabbling in verticals and diagonals now since September on equities, atm or ctm. Up over 35%, 15% this month. I'll throw out what I'm looking at and would love any thoughts. I've always been somewhat reluctant to post, but will try to bring something positive. My goal is to do this fulltime, just need to find more time to devote to get lots smarter.

I have had great results recently with diagonals on CHK. playing natural gas. Cashed out one weekago before recent drop. Also, verticals in NEM and GRMN were very good.

Currently have diagonal
    Sold Dec 20 Put CMVT @ 1.00
    Long Jul 17.5 Put @ 1.15.
    Put this on when CMVT at 19.50 about two weeks ago. Closed half my shorts at .25 and hoping it closes tomorrow near 20 and will sell the Jan.

Today opened Jan vertical spread in NYX, 95/90 for credit of 2.00. I think there is strong support at 95 and like the stock long term.

Also looking at DIVX, but should have moved earlier today.

Anyway, thanks again and I appreciate reading everyone's comments and all you have taught me.

Murph

#1323     Dec 13, 2006
  4. Nope, found support again with this rally. Big jump. Looking for a breakout now above 22.00

#1324     Dec 14, 2006
  5. I like the NYX play as long as you're ready to cut losses on any close below 95. The drop will be hard and fast if that 95 support doesn't hold.

DIVX doesn't trade enough volume for me to be interested.

#1325     Dec 14, 2006
  6. Cache,

I agree about your comment on NYX. If it breaks 95, I may buy a put or even look at a bear call, but will definitely be out of this if it gets close. I've had a strong...lucky...run lately. Pobably the biggest thing I've tried to learn from these threads is money mgt. If I can just eliminate the big losses, I think I'll do fine.

Right now, just watching closely, but not so close the boss notices.

#1326     Dec 14, 2006
  7. I like AMD calls if it closes above 22.00 today. Assuming of course that the market doesn't drop on the PPI and housing reports tomorrow before the open.

I've already got some SPY calls, so I won't miss the move if we start up tomorrow, but I'd like to buy the AMD calls at the open if it still looks fruitful.

#1327     Dec 18, 2006