Verizon Wireless 5gig Month Useage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by austinp, Jul 12, 2008.

1. I have embarqe. Cheap and very fast and reliable. I watch 20 charts a day.

If I was having chart problems, then I would assume it was my computer resources and use a larger charting interval and see if that cured it.

#11     Jul 12, 2008
  2. #12     Jul 12, 2008
  3. Good news: Time-Warner cable / roadrunner is now available to me, as of 7/01. I last checked on it in early May, saw some guys stringing cable along my highway and got excited. No dice at that time.

I'm still interested in T-1 service, that could be 30-45 days until install. If RR service is robust like it was when I lived in Denver (2002) that would be terrific. If not, no worse than DSL now.

I run two towers for work, dual monitors each. One setup runs NT platform and browser, other setup runs TradeStation charts and HotComm only. What's been happening is stable feed all morning long, but from noon est into the afternoon I start getting dropped from HotComm, then both chart setups = software go dead at the same time.

Outages last anywhere from 10 seconds to 30 seconds and might happen once, might recur for hours. It cost me -$970 Friday due to stranded sell-stop order I entered right as service dropped for the umpteenth time, then ghosted in the dome. It filled short into the last ER pop and I caught it before -$1,000 more (or worse) bled away.

Been told that DSL here is over-subscribed. Dedicated DSL is not available, just checked that. Signed up for RR now, should have that by week's end. Will cripple thru with what I have until then.

Thank you for all the suggestions... I checked on all other services, still might add T-1 and definitely dual wan router regardless. We'll bring the 21st century to this two-horse town with no traffic lights, no crime and only one active day trader (laugh)

#13     Jul 12, 2008
  4. joemiami

joemiami Guest

I have been using Verizon Wireless as my main line from 2nd floor apt surrounded by other tall apt buildings nearby in miami beach. I currently have a 6 monitor setup.

1st monitor- 5 min es
    2nd monitor- 15 min es
    3rd monitor- 15 min crude oil
    4th monitor- trading platform main page (open e cry)
    5th- monitor- rss feeder for cbs marketwatch latest news
    6th- yahoo and msn messengers "online" at all times

So far I havent crossed over max allowed data usage for the plan i have, same as yours.

Im sure that if i started watching videos like on youtube I'd start incurring XTra charges up the ass.

#14     Jul 16, 2008
  5. I am using a verizon wireless card as my internet connection.

I moved in the country for a job, and where I live that's realy the only option.

I get a good signal though. I'm daytrade on my laptop with wireless card while at work.

I watch ES,Bonds, YM and RUssel all 15 minute charts. I stream from my broker through Genesis, with that I go through about 80MB in a day.

When my dome is up from my broker at the same time, add about another 15 to that. So I only have domes running when I see a trade setting up.

#15     Jul 30, 2008
  6. Do you pay a 200$ per month platform fee through Genesis?

#16     Jul 30, 2008
  7. Nope.

I only pay the exchange fees for CBOT and CME.

#17     Jul 30, 2008
  8. gordo

gordo

I have a Verizon wireless Aircard with unlimited monthly data. It has been great for my needs so far. At times, respectably fast, other times noticeably slower. Typically, have multi monitors (two or more), with multiple charts, and web browser running.

Have not had any connections issues. When I am on the road, if it is running on my laptop, then it is obviously slower.

Not quite up to speed as true dsl or cable, but good for backup connection or mobile computing.

I would be much happier if it were more competitively priced. But that's the mobile premium I guess, and with threats of new internet pricing plans, one cannot complain.

Gordo

#18     Aug 7, 2008
  9. How'd you get unlimited data?

Was it just that you got the card when they first came out, and you've had the same plan since?

During the day I do whatever I can to keep my data usage down.

#19     Aug 7, 2008
  10. gordo

gordo

Signed up last year for a two year unlimited usage contract. It was like $60 a month. I have left it on continuously at times, and never had a bill over my $60 fee.

#20     Aug 7, 2008