Verizon FIOS and Interactive Brokers TWS

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by SideShowBob, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Just an update on FIOS. I signed up a few weeks ago and was scheduled for an install last Friday. Last Tuesday they emailed me and left me a voicemail that they had re-scheduled it to yesterday (4 days later) due to an engineering problem. They said to contact them if I had a problem with the new date, otherwise they'd "see me then".

So yesterday at around 930 (they're supposed to come at 8 AM) I called to ask where they were, and as he's looking up my account I hear him saying "that's not right" and "this is weird". He says he's not sure what's going on, he'll call me back in 20 minutes.

An hour and a half later (I was doing other things) I call them again and the new guy tells me they won't be coming, the fiber hub isn't on my corner yet. So they can't install it, they don't know when they will be able to, and they weren't going to let me know this.

This just sucks -- if it's not ready that's fine, but to leave me expecting them to come is like something the cable company does. Beware dealing with verizon, it seems like their customer service sucks. Double check your appointment too :mad: :mad:

#11     Jan 11, 2007
  2. Another update -- I got FIOS installed finally and it FLIES. I got a download going last night at 19.7 Mbps. Amazing speed. So far no outages, at least not that I noticed (I also have a cable modem so I might not notice).

Another side note -- they <b>*insisted*</b> you had to use their router -- so after the installer left I unplugged their router and plugged in my old D-link router, changed the setting to direct connection, and it worked fine. So you don't need to use their router.....

#12     Feb 1, 2007
  3. Bob111

Bob111

Like it, huh? told ya-fios -rules!:D
    Regarding router-you can use any of them. they insist, because if you have any problems-CS only know their current router model and if you have router problem-CS will be unable to help you.
    i have 1 outage so far for last couple years just few days ago. The problem was somewhere in main box, few hundred feet away from house, they fixed on next day, after i call them.

next step is to check fios tv:D

#13     Feb 1, 2007
  4. They don't have FIOS TV by me yet. So I'm stuck with Comcast raising their rates every 2 months.

#14     Feb 1, 2007
  5. Bob111

Bob111

wow..fios tv rates looks pretty good for my area, but i did not tried yet. same package would cost $25 less than comcast.

#15     Feb 1, 2007
  6. Have any of you lucky Fios customer tried connecting Fios to a dual wan router, with say cable modem, for redundancy? If so does it work?

#16     Feb 1, 2007
  7. I don't use a dual wan router because for me I've had it become a single point of failure. I run FIOS through one router and a cable modem through the other router, then each is connected to a separate LAN card on the PC. That works with no problems -- but there's no reason it shouldn't work with a dual wan router -- there's no "FIOS modem" inside the house -- it's just an ethernet cable they run from the box in my garage.

SSB

#17     Feb 1, 2007
  8. Thanks SSB, question about your 2 NIC cards in CPU. Will that give you auto redundancy if one ISP goes down? Or do you have to reboot and shut down apps in the process?

#18     Feb 2, 2007
  9. With Windows XP it appears to automatically switch connections over to the working card. No reboot required, although TWS can take a few seconds (up to 30) to reconnect.

I bought a web power switch so I can reboot the routers or modems remotely.

#19     Feb 2, 2007
  10. Thanks. Have you actually tested it out? As you mentioned above.

#20     Feb 2, 2007