Verizon DSL.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrbud, Feb 27, 2008.

1. mrbud

mrbud

Do you still have to connect to Verizon DSL manually?
    Five years ago, I had Verizon DSL. When you turned on your computer, you had to click an icon to connect to Verizon. It would take a few seconds, and then you would be on line. You had to reconnect a few times a day.

I have Comcast cable right now and it connects to the web automatically. I'm pleased with it, but I'm considering getting Verizon DSL as a back up for a second computer. I would hate to think that if Comcast goes down, I would have to manually connect to Verizon every time I need it, especially if it disconnects a lot, like it used to.

If this is the case, wouldn't a manual connection cause problems, especially if I were to connect it to a dual wan router? How would it switch to DSL, if the DSL icon needs to be clicked everytime.
    Did they advance to auto connect yet?

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

2. lwlee

lwlee

No, I've got Verizon DSL and it's seamless.

3. The old Verizon DSL modems did not store the user name and password, so the computer had to initiate the DSL connection. The new Verizon DSL modems are also routers/bridges and store your user name and password and initiate and maintain the DSL connection.

If FIOS is available in your area get that rather than DSL.

4. mrbud

mrbud

Thanks guys, glad to hear it. I'll order it tomorrow.