VectorVest . . . anyone?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by comp652, Dec 6, 2006.

1. One poster mentioned that it takes a lot of work to use VectorVest---that is absolutely true, but sometimes I think that is by design, because if you really invest that time and get to the bottom of the numbers, you will find the data in VectorVest is unreliable ---between bad data, failure to account for stock splits, etc., you really cannot use the system to reliably backtest.

When we first purchased VectorVest six months ago and began a thorough and systematic evaluation of the product, we initially believed that we could profit by taking the opposite side of the VectorVest recommendation, as our tests indicated that VectorVest's marketing timing calls and stock ratings were wrong about 87% of the time. In other words, it appeared that VectorVest was just a parrot for what Wall Street recommends, and anyone that has traded for awhile knows that when Wall Street says buy, that means sell, and when they say sell, that means buy. Unfortunately, after a thorough analysis, we realized that all testing using the VectorVest system is invalid because the system contains bad math and bad data. Specifically, VectorVest does not properly account for stock splits, includes numerous bad prints in its data. In addition, the mathematical calculations used in the system have numerous errors.

In terms of product quality, VectorVest is severely lacking. In addition to the bad data and mathematical errors mentioned above, the program frequently crashes, has frequent "divide by zero" errors, and sometimes will simply not retrieve results. As programmers, we were able to definitively determine that all of these problems were due to poor programming practices, poor quality assurance testing, and most importantly, an arrogant attitude on the part of the support staff and a refusal by them to fix the problems. We are confident the reason for this is they sell so many copies of this flawed product that frankly, they don't care. Moreover, they DO NOT offer refunds, so if you purchase anything other than the basic monthly data, which you can cancel but not receive a pro-rated refund on, you get no refund. In other words, they know the software has problems, therefore, they do not offer refunds.

The bottom line is after over six months of thorough and careful analysis, we conclude that regardless of whether you follow the system or take the opposite side of the trade, your results cannot be reliably predicted simply because the data the VectorVest system relies on is inaccurate. At the end of the day, any serious analysis using their product is analogous to throwing darts at the Wall Street Journal stock tables. Between failure to account for stock splits, bad prints, and a multitude of programming errors within the system, most simulations you run are statistically unreliable because the data in the VectorVest system is inaccurate. Moreover, locating and/or attempting to filter out the bad data in the VectorVest system is excruciatingly painful because the program frequently encounters "divide by zero" errors or simply crashes. You have to have a tremendous amount of patience and a cabinet full of pain killers to use the VectorVest system for more than a few days.

Don't waste your money or your time.

#21     May 5, 2009
  2. jimt46

jimt46

I can't believe what I am reading here. I have been a VectorVest subscriber for nearly two years and just renewed an annual membership AND bought the RealTime package. This service is wonderful.

I have never seen a data problem and customer service has been superb. I just reported a bug in the RealTime program and after two emails got a live phone call from the staff with an apology, a notification that they had duplicated the bug and an explanation of what they were doing to resolve the issue.

As for the searches, I can't think of anything easier or more intuitive. I built my own which I use for main main account and it took about 5 minutes. Testing it for robustness took a while but was incredibly educational.

VectorVest called the bottom of the last decline on March 9th and I was long on their recommendation on the 11th. I'm still holding those positions (with one foot out the door) for a profit of over 45%.

Vectorvest has the most comprehensive training tools I have seen. Their Vectorvest University has not only great tutorials, running from beginner to advanced, but new trading ideas every week.

What service are some of you using? It certainly isn't the VectorVest I have.

#22     May 14, 2009
  3. honestsid

honestsid

I am not making it up about the lack of service and back up I have received so please do believe what you are reading. All my despondence has been saved, just in case a lawyer would like to see it!

I agree that the system shows promise, It may well be useful in the initial sifting and sorting of stocks to watch, however if you cant use it with a laptop using a USB dongle to connect to the internet in the UK then what good is it? Trading has gone Mobile! (You may recall through reading my posts that I had no-problem with it on my home computer.)

Also and this is a BIG ALSO, after seeking answers and help through the VectorVest user group at Yahoo, my questions were mysteriously blocked and my posts removed ... thats democratic isn't it!

We all have different experiences with Vector vest, I am telling you of mine, it is a true life experience, not made up. Before you buy, if you buy, make sure it will do what you want, take out the trial period for $10 and see if it works. BUT make sure it works before you sign up, I asked questions during the trial period and got quick responses from the VV team saying something was being done about my problems . ... this changed once I had signed up and nothing was ever done, the team promised to phone me on three occasions but never did, they stopped answering my emails and blocked me from the yahoo users group. I also had problems imputing into the portfolio, it was ok in $'s but not in £'s so check this works for you if you need this part of the platform.

They seem to have a big bug in their system and don't want this info to get out to the general public. All they had to do was admit it and I would have been happy. If I can't trust the company to tell the truth can I trust the data input? They have been telling us that 333% gains could have been made over the last two months .... isn't hindsight a wonderful thing, perhaps they will learn through hindsight not to ignore me. We are more tenacious in the UK we don't roll over an go away, so VV if you are dipping your toe into the UK market then listen to what we want, it may help INCREASE your sales.

At the end of the day it's your money, you spend it however you want, but spend it wisely and remember there is no lazy way, no easy answer, no quick fix to become a successful trader despite the claims of the many information retailers out there. The great thing about using a system like vectorvest is that when you have lost all your money you can blame your information provider.

My father, a very successful accountant, always would tell me "A fool and their money are easily parted"

PS Vectorvest: When you have fixed the bugs let me know and I will try again, and if it works I will let everyone know, I cant' be fairer than that can I. It may even repair your damaged UK reputation.

I remain yours, ever hopeful.

Honestsid.

#23     May 15, 2009
  4. jimt46

jimt46

Hi honestsid,

You make some great points. I can't speak to the UK experience, only the US. That said, your advice about taking the $10 trial is excellent. That is the very best way to see for oneself how the system works. It truly isn't for everyone but obviously a large number of people are having excellent results. There is no way of knowing how it will work for you without a test drive.

Your warning about a fool and his money is also excellent. There is no substitute for study and understanding. While I had no trouble setting up a good portfolio, the main reason was that I thoroughly understood the system and how and why it worked. I took all the tutorials, and watched just about every VV University segment. Just expecting to install the software and have money piling up at your door is a fool's dream. You need to take your time and do the work.

A comment that I see made in posts along the Internet is that VectorVest is primarily a stock sorting system. It isn't. It does have superb portfolio building tools but its main strength is market timing and that's the point they really hammer home. All the sorting and sifting in the world won't help you if you are in the market at the wrong time. Almost any portfolio will make money if you are positioned properly whether long or short.

I do hope you don't think I was trying to make light of your situation. I was addressing those that claim that the VV program itself is flawed. Customer service issues can vary widely and while all my experiences have been wonderful, your milage may vary. My apologies if I caused offense.

#24     May 15, 2009
  5. jfw215

jfw215

"jail break... double your money in a matter of 60 to 90 days"...I keep seeing that damn vector vest commercial on bloomberg.

Stocks is a suckers game and any ad targeting old people with relative little investing experience to put their retirement (hope) money into the markets should be straight out illegal.

Now my conscious is clearer. I won't feel bad taking money from the market :)

W

#25     Aug 2, 2009
  6. Steve

Steve

Honestsid I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with them.

I was thinking about subscribing to their services (after reading their magazines).

Today I typed their name into ask.co.uk search engine and found about your opinion. It's good I checked before subscribing - as I planned to use it in UK on a laptop connected to internet using mobile broadband.
    It just shows you if they cannot sort that problem (lot of people in UK use mobile broadband - it's 2009 after all and we are well into 21 century), how can you expect them to be accurate, reliable etc.

ONCE MORE THANK YOU FOR LETING PEOPLE KNOW

#26     Aug 15, 2009
  7. autofocus

autofocus

Has anyone in the USA tried the SP500/RT Strategy as shown in the VV Video (I know they show 2009) with any success? They make it appear so EZ!

#27     Aug 8, 2011

8. The SP500/rt worked well at that time because the stock market went into a bull run on Sept 1 2010. as they say timeing is everything.

#28     Aug 10, 2011
  9. autofocus

autofocus

Thx., and Thats why it looked too EZ! Anyone tried it in past YR plz sound off- mayby the green lights will flash again?

#29     Aug 10, 2011
  10. Actually you did not hear much about the strategy SP500/rt until around 9-1-2010. Then you had a bull move starting about that time. I like vectorvest. It just show with a fair strategy and good timing can do for you.

#30     Aug 12, 2011