VB .NET for VB 6

Discussion in 'Trading' started by fivestar20, Aug 18, 2003.

1. I have a brand new copy of Visual Basic .net Standard version. I purchased it with the intention of converting my vb 6 based programs into vb .net but now find that it is going to be more of a hassle than I want to deal with right now. Would anyone wishing to "upgrade" to vb .net like to swap me for your copy of vb 6?

2. fivestar20,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I had just the same experience. I am sick and tired about this whole business. Although vb6 became rather usable over the last couple of years M$ had us go through quite some hassle before they got at the final vb6. Now converting to vb.net is just too much. However, learning from past experience, M$ will pull the rug out from under vb6 as fast as they can.

I wonder whether it would not be the right moment of thinking to switch to Linux. I am seriously thinking about Borland Kylix3 which is an implementation of both Delphi and C++ under Linux. I figure that converting to vb.net is probably as laborious as converting to the Kylix3, which is available for free (starter version). Delphi seems to be a very nice pascal-like environment and has many quality users.

3. H2O

H2O

Hi,

I have worked with VB6 (enterprise edition) and received a gift from a friend : VB.NET standard edition.

I didn't start to work with it at once and when I started a few weeks ago, I found there's already a new version (2003)
    I would love to work with something that has a longer lifetime and I agree with you that Microsoft will perhaps not do....

You're talking about switching to LINUX, This would be to much for me. I would like to stay in the Windows enviroment.

Any suggestions except getting used to vb.NET ?

4. Not sure what's included in VB.net standard edition. But the upgrade wizard in visual studio .net 2003 is pretty good at making the transition from VB6.

5. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Not really. Longer term you will need to use the .Net Framework to take advantage of new MS system features. However over a timeframe of the next two years or so you can get by with VB6. VB6 and VB.NEt will run together, on the same computer, seamlessly. Moroever .NET has a COM interoperability layer that allows you to communicate and run VB6 com objects from .Net code.