variance swaps ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by stochastix, Nov 25, 2020.

1. it sucks that the CFE variance swap futures never caught on . how can we trade these as individuals without massive hassle regarding counterparty collateral agreements and whatnot . is VIX the only real volatility index that has options and futures on it?

2. 2rosy

2rosy

not for retail. go back to '00s for institutions

3. i cant, i dont have enough bananas and apples to put in the delorean, so i cant reach 88mph

4. SPX var was a very active market before this spring. You can guess the rest :D

5. qwerty11

qwerty11

No, recently 2 other vol products (similar to vix) were introduced, 1 by MIAX and the other by another party...

6. weird, just a clone of VIX on SPY ? can I trade it with IB?
    It looks like they even bit their code for their website from oxford's realized vol lab.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  7. there is also V2X - it's less liquid but it trades and you can probably do something interesting there as a retail trader

eternaldelight likes this.
  8. IMO if you're retail and want to trade volatility, bootstrap your own curve on SMIDs...liquidity provision is king.

YuriWerewolf likes this.
  9. i have on my todo list ''bootstrapping..' but SMID didn't show up in my jargon file. what is that?

10. IB shows that there are no options for V2X. I'll have to think about options on futures..

#10     Nov 26, 2020