vanlife

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dealmaker, Apr 24, 2020.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

#vanlife.

To flee or not to flee, that is the question
    Some van dwellers have hightailed it to homes (or driveways) of family and friends, or to properties of willing strangers.

There’s even a “Space for Roadlifers”Google doc that’s connecting travelers with people willing to lend a spare room or parking spot.

Others are getting REALLY socially distant
    Some van lifers have found places to legally park and stay (for free) on the wide open spaces of federal lands.

While developed recreation sites with campgrounds, toilets, and running water are closed in most places, free, dispersed camping (outside of designated camping spaces) is still fair game on most Bureau of Land Management and National Forest properties.

Determining whether it's safer to head on a long journey toward family/friends or to hunker down on an uncrowded piece of public land depends, in part, on your van’s setup.

Take it from some van fans
    Grizel Williams and her boyfriend found some quiet BLM land in southeastern Colorado to hunker down, and their situation sounds about as socially distant as it gets.

Their Extended High Roof Ford Transit van is equipped with running water, a 35-gallon tank, solar panels, and heat.

Williams says they can go 2 to 3 weeks before needing to head to town for a resupply. But if you don't have a toilet or running water, like Christina Hadly, it's much tougher to get by in your vehicle.

Don’t judge the van by the ‘gram
    While stereotypes of van life involve constant traveling and way-too-staged lifestyle shots, many real-life van lifers say they’re in it for other reasons.

Williams says living in a van isn't about traveling, it's about "finding joy in things beyond consumerism."

People in this camp, whose vans are well-equipped, can take the pandemic as an opportunity to slow down and focus on the things that matter most, kinda the point of #vanlife anyway.

But if federal lands close to dispersed camping, as some fear might happen, many more van lifers may need to consider posting up in relatives’ driveways.

from Hustle

2. I thought these people resided "down by the river."

3. gaussian

gaussian

I find it funny that these millennial hipsters are so obsessed with living in some area that is way overvalued they will downsize their life to a van in order to do it. All of these things sound great until you want a stable place to set your roots in and grow but you live in a 30 square foot van within breathing distance from your spouse at all times (this of course assuming you can find a spouse that would voluntarily live in squalor). "Finding joy beyond consumerism" in this context sounds more like a cry for help than a stoic observation on the truth in living a rugged road life.

Clubber Lang likes this.
  4. wartrace

wartrace

I'm considering a waterway lifestyle similar to this. I am thinking about buying a sailing cat and travelling the inter coastal waterway for a few years or more. As soon as SpaceX internet is available and reliable I intend to get serious about it.

5. easymon1

easymon1

Besides keeping valuables out of sight, Barkman recommends a safe or lockbox for the really important stuff. There are many options readily available online, and you’ll want something that’s designed for the make and model of your vehicle. Barkman ordered his safe from Dave Harrison (@vanagonlife), who makes customlockboxes for vehicles including VW buses, Sprinters, and Ford Transit Connects. “I can leave my rig in a place that’s maybe a little sketchy and be fully confident that no one can break into the safe,” he says. When Barkman recently parked the Yellow Submarine at the Seattle airport, he returned to a smashed window and $4,000 worth of stolen gear. The essentials stored in his safe, though, remained undisturbed.

Photographer James Barkman has been living in his 1976 VW Westfalia van for seven years. The lessons he’s learned can help you on your long-weekend road trip, too.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2424267/road-trip-van-life-advice

6. easymon1

easymon1

Here's a couple that write about roughing it and their setups.
    nice.

Y-Not – Our 1999 Bayliner 4788 Motor Yacht
    https://www.technomadia.com/y-not/

wartrace likes this.
  7. vanzandt

vanzandt

A Bayliner lol?!

See, this is what happens when the Fed prints too much money...
    ....Boomers trying to be cool buy Bic Lighters.

Edit:
    ISO 17088:2008

8. easymon1

easymon1

It aint a donzi, I'll grant you that, and Sure Bayliners are K-Mart Specials and an old one at that, but he's livin on the water and on the land sometimes. Check out his rig, some nice upgrades, if she gets trashed in a hurricane, makes less of a wallet stain maybe, lol.
    I dig the idea, if you want to sink some serious cash into a boat, (a hole in the water that you throw money into), that's fantastic. Post Pics.

That guy aint a trader so he doesn't have access to all that low hanging fruit that Richshaw Man is Wolfing Down over there.

That's harsh, dude's got some fine electronics reviews too last time i checked couple years ago. go check the website.
    Then check back.

Another cat with his wife and kid sail the carribean in a Big Ass Cat and post vids, also a couple years old at least, I posted one here somewhere. That looks good for a month or two, but after that, the catamaran is gonna be a huge, (DockSpace, Moorage, Security when you've had enough for a while and want some dry time) Albatross around the neck.

Timeshare sailboats are pretty nice for weekenders and weeks.
    Used to fart around with a proud Rosmoniea afficianado learned how to sail from a Video Tape and passed the qualification no problemo. Passable sailor at best.
    Boat was a 37', what i'm thinkin catalina? Nice teak everywhere, fine uppholstery, electronics, music stove, oven, head, water, beds, sailed might nice in a proper breeze laid over with the right sails rigged up.

Buying one, Hell a motor 'yacht' I'd as soon have a cheapo, depreciated and semi-disposable. That crap gets old after a while.

Soooo, the guy with the baylines has some big-ass diesel bus and towed a car i think, for when he gets tired of the water.

All that mobile living would be best on an as you feel like it basis.

Now the money is starting to stack kinda high.
    Mtce, for home, boat, car, bus, on and on and on.

Ready to set out yet?

The mobile electronics reviews were pretty good if that's of any interest/